Butchering/gut photos

I might try that next time but usually their heads pop off with the broomstick when I’ve done it before. Not his 😂
I don't even need a broomstick for cervical dislocation. Two fingers, one on each side of the neck right behind the head. Spin body in a circle until you feel the neck separate from the head. Then a quick jerk to complete the dislocation. Small birds will have the head pop right off.

I don't even need a broomstick for cervical dislocation. Two fingers, one on each side of the neck right behind the head. Spin body in a circle until you feel the neck separate from the head. Then a quick jerk to complete the dislocation. Small birds will have the head pop right off.
That sounds fast and easy! I’m terrified to try that way though because my dad tried with the first bird we did (although not the way you described so I’m sure he did it wrong) and he didn’t die right away so I had to take him myself and do the broom and it was horrible. Granted he wasn’t alive long cause I immediately took action but still. I’ve heard of other cases too where they dump the bird but then it’s in the yard later, not actually dead, and I’m just traumatized. 😂🤣🙈

I’ve heard of other cases too where they dump the bird but then it’s in the yard later, not actually dead, and I’m just traumatized.

I'm a fan of cutting off the head, because then I KNOW the bird is dead. No matter what the body is doing--like flapping downhill to the nearest mudhole--I can look at the head and be sure I got it right.

(Of course any other method of removing the head has the same benefit.)

I'm a fan of cutting off the head, because then I KNOW the bird is dead. No matter what the body is doing--like flapping downhill to the nearest mudhole--I can look at the head and be sure I got it right.

(Of course any other method of removing the head has the same benefit.)
Yeah, that’s exactly why I like it and usually the head pops right off or at least separate from the neck a bit and I can see the neck muscles or the head off or whatever and know they’re dead but this time his neck stayed intact :eek: like even the feathers. So when he started flapping I was afraid he woke up 😭😂 he didn’t but I tried again anyway. I was pulling as hard as I could but maybe I had it too high on the neck or something idk. I might try with scissors or a knife next time but we don’t have a cone.

K diggy dog I would not say your flock has mareks unless you have it confirmed via necropsy. I had a rooster get sick suddenly and likely did the same thing as you and google all the symptoms with everyone say mareks. Guess what I sent him to UConn for a necropsy and low an behold is was mold that was his demise. I believe from scratching around in the mulch while free ranging. They were always in the mulch beds. Long story short all your doing is farting in the wind unless you have something to back up a claim like that.

Back
Top Bottom