Button Quail -- First Hatch

AQuailNamedFrancis

Songster
6 Years
Sep 10, 2017
Colorado
Howdy,

Just had some questions, its day 13 and should I do anything else to the button quail eggs? They have about 3 days left. I looked it up and some sites said to do one last candle check and some said just leave them alone, some sites said to give more humidity and others didn't. Just a tad confused on what to do, its my first time hatching button quail.

Also any good tips for button quail (hatching, handling, blah blah blah)?

Thank you.

(Also any good names for button quails :D )

Three days left...should be in "lockdown". Really no need to candle unless you just want too! Some people do, just so they don't have any unfertilized eggs at lockdown. Should up the humidity to 60-65%. Don't be surpised to have some early starters and late finishers.
I generally let mine stay in the incubator for 18 hours after hatching. You'll want to have your brooder set up and acclimated to around 96-97deg. You'll want to reduce the temp 5degs per week until they are feathered out. Feeding: I use 24% protein crumbles that have been pulverized almost to dust. Sprinkled all over the brooder floor(paper towels on bottom of floor) I have aspen shavings under the paper towels. Water: I use a specially made waterer for button quail(see pics) I also add Nutri-Drench to their water for two weeks, you can get it at TSC. After that time just plain water. HTH GoodLuck with your hatch.
image%3A22468.jpg

image%3A22469.jpg

Last pic has 3 waterers, 2 with Nutri-Drench 1 plain water.

Three days left...should be in "lockdown". Really no need to candle unless you just want too! Some people do, just so they don't have any unfertilized eggs at lockdown. Should up the humidity to 60-65%. Don't be surpised to have some early starters and late finishers.
I generally let mine stay in the incubator for 18 hours after hatching. You'll want to have your brooder set up and acclimated to around 96-97deg. You'll want to reduce the temp 5degs per week until they are feathered out. Feeding: I use 24% protein crumbles that have been pulverized almost to dust. Sprinkled all over the brooder floor(paper towels on bottom of floor) I have aspen shavings under the paper towels. Water: I use a specially made waterer for button quail(see pics) I also add Nutri-Drench to their water for two weeks, you can get it at TSC. After that time just plain water. HTH GoodLuck with your hatch.
View attachment 1205736
View attachment 1205738
Last pic has 3 waterers, 2 with Nutri-Drench 1 plain water.
Thank you very much. Very Informative and helpful. :)

They could....just depends on how high your temp is set at? Higher temps (100 to 101 or 102) will see earlier than suppose to hatches, cooler temps (97, 98) and you will see late hatches. That's why it is important to have a constant temp. This is the reason you will see early and late hatches, especially if using styrofoam incubators. The temps are not consistant throughout the incubator. Air forced incubators for quail eggs should be set at 99.5, Still air incubators should be set at 102 to 103 for quail eggs.
No worries if they do hatch before you get back...they can stay in the bator for 24hrs. if needed. With button quail, I wouldn't let them go any longer in the bator, their soooo small that their yolk sacs will be used up very quickly. HTH

PS: Add to post after realizing I didn't mention this, if using the conventional waterer, put marbels in the tray to keep the chicks from drowning. Also, they make a small lipped tray for the plastic quart waterers thats about 1/4" deep and wide. You can get them a TSC also. Only thing is I've had chicks drown in them but not the ones in the pics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom