Button Quail gender assistance please

MissCluck

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Finger Lakes Region, NY
I have six little button quail hatched from eggs. I've promised a pair to a friend and I'm having trouble sexing the little dears. Something tells me I'm going to have all males.
roll.png

They are about four+ weeks old and their colors are coming in and they're fully feathered. I'm going to try vent sexing today to see if the color guesses were correct.

Here we go......
tongue.png
Halp!

This one is male.... yes?

IMG_2999.jpg

Two dark males? I thought originally the grey was male because of a bib but it's large and has a female look about it. Not sure on the cinnamon either.

IMG_3007.jpg

Hen?

IMG_3006.jpg

Hen?

IMG_3005.jpg

The gang...

IMG_3004.jpg

Grey, tan and cinnamon.

QuailAtFourWeeks.jpg

The cinnamon is a hen. The rest are roos. Ivory hens have bibs, but they're creamy white and not as defined as your silver male has.

First pic, center is a golden red breast, the one on the right is a cinnamon. Second pic, golden red breast again, silver? male, cinnamon and unknown in the corner. Third is a red breast with cinnamon hen beneath and cinnamon roo on the right side bottom. Fourth, cinnie hen, cinnie roo in top corner. Last picture, I can tell that the "unidentified" male is a wild type roo. Your cinnamon roo I believe is a regular wild type cinnamon.

Last edited:
Thanks! I thought perhaps so. drat.

The one I was so sure was a natural hen yesterday today had a dark bib with the white underliner.

The cinnamon hen is big. Feels weighty compared to the others. Now I'm stuck because I don't want to sell my only pair and the rest are roos so I'm left in a quandry about housing now too.

I planned to keep only four and have housing for four. Back to the planning board.

Back
Top Bottom