Button Quail Mysteriously Killed

rockystone1624

Hatching
Feb 17, 2018
Upstate New York
About a month ago I got 4 button quail, 2 males, and 2 females from a fellow chicken friend (She was hatching a bunch for whatever reason and had too many so she decided to sell them). They had all been raised together so she assured me that there shouldn't be much of an issue with keeping together 2 males. As soon as we got home I noticed that one of the males was a little slow, I decided to keep an eye on him. When I say slow I mean, he strayed from the 3 and he was extremely easy to catch (which if you own button quail, it is not a common thing to easily catch them!), but he was eating and drinking. After about a week or so of owning all of them a family member said they found him mauled! I had seen him in the morning and he was fine, taking a closer look at him, he looked as if he were scalped, but there was no sign of struggle so I have no idea how it happened! I tried to look up similar situations, but have found nothing, has anyone seen anything like this?

Quail will take to each other and will kill each other if they feel it's necessary. It may have simply been they knew something was wrong with him, or it may have been that they plain didn't like him and didn't want them in their territory. Buttons are especially aggressive. It's best to keep one pair or trio per enclosure and they need more space per bird than Coturnix.

Back
Top Bottom