buttons in an aviary

Akane

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
I built a 4x8x8'h enclosure for the sugar gliders but it didn't work out so we are using it as an aviary instead. I want to put buttons in the bottom but the floor right now is a canvas tarp over hardwood that is then covered in a chunk of fleece. Great for sugar gliders but not easy cleaning material for birds. I don't have a whole lot to spend and I cannot modify the wood floor or use it directly. I'm thinking of building a frame out of some 4x4s that are sitting around which will fit inside the pvc frame. Then cover the floor in plastic and pull it over the wood frame and under the pvc frame. Depending on cost I might opt to do this with linoleum instead. So after that I would have an easy to clean floor with 4" high sides. Now what do I bed it with? I want to avoid pine shavings if possible because they aren't that good for the birds. I'm wondering if peat moss would be too dusty since the sides above the 4x4s are hexagon wire? I debated actual soil as well but that might be too heavy to deal with and it wouldn't be cleaned so much as composted in place in the house. While I'm all for the deep litter method I'd prefer it stayed outdoors. Sand has some of the same problems with weight and cleaning. Any other suggestions or opinions on materials I've already considered?

Hex Netting? As In Hexagon Chicken Wire Type Netting? I'm Not Sure That Will Contain Your Buttons??? Also Is This Aviary Indoors Or Outdoors?

Hexagon wire not netting. It's pvc coated hardware cloth in hexagon instead of rectangle. I don't remember what gauge but buttons most definitely can't damage it and it is held by cable ties to a pvc frame and then a line of silicone to close any small gaps. Newly hatched chicks might be able to fit through but a hen would have to actually hatch some and then they'd have to get over the 4x4s. I have yet to have a button accomplish hatching anything.
100_0545.jpg

Indoor aviary since about half the year is below freezing here.

The only thing I can see that might be an issue is only having a 4" lip on the bottom. That isn't going to be enough to hold in shavings and keep the little buggers from sending dust bath sand all over the place.

Misunderstood something in an earlier post...never mind.

Last edited:
Ideas.... Hmmm, Wifezilla Is Correct About The Low Lip... They Will Scatter Stuff Badly. Maybe Cover The Wood Floor With Linoleum And Add A Taller Lip, Then You Could Use Any Substrate You Like... Clumping Cat Litter, Sand, Aspen Or Pine Shavings. I Think The Moss Idea May Turn Out To Be Worse To Clean Than Anything Else Just Because Of The Substance Itself. Sand Or Cat Litter Can Be Scooped. Or Perhaps Just Get Some Outdoor Carpet And Cut Pieces Of It To Fit.... Then To Clean Simply Change Out With A Clean Piece And Hose The Dirty 1 Clean Again?

So we are going to try wheat bran as a bedding. I was looking all over for sources of wheat pellets and realized I have a bag of wheat hulls sitting around at 50lbs/$6. It can't be that much different from the pellets made of hulls and some straw. We did a trial in the bottom of the smaller cages and it proved to be fairly absorbent, heavier than peat moss would be, and we cannot find any reason it wouldn't be completely safe. Only a small amount gets tossed out of the cages when a bird gets really excited but it's less than the amount of seed hulls I have to clean up every day and the cages only have 1-2" deep pans.

Back
Top Bottom