buy goose eggs?

deejeff442

Songster
9 Years
Jun 27, 2013
anyone know where i can buy goose eggs to hatch? i am in construction and have 6 acres.i would love to build like a 500-600 sq foot enclosed area with a pond and keep some geese .i need to still do research on keeping them but pretty serious about it.

i am in texas outside fort worth.pretty hot today 102. it does get cold for a little bit in the winter. i am not sure on the breed yet but i would like to get something on the bigger side. i dont need 10 geese ,maybe 5 or 6 at the most. you near youngstown? my sis in law lives there.
i know you get some real temp swings up there.

well i have been looking around.found 3 sites .not one company has one egg. out of season? now i am not in a big hurry. the housing wont be done till late fall.just trying to research .i am not a person to impulse buy an animal .i will never let an animal suffer if i can help it and will always research before hand .any help would be awesome

geese dont lay year round like chickens do. They are seasonal (spring) layers only. Starting research now and selecting a breed, building the housing and pond would put you ready for next years breeding season. often you can find juveniles and some adults for sale in the fall when the temps are low enough to make it safe for shipping again. Be sure you read up on dietary needs, and housing as well. Geese need protection at night from predators like chickens and ducks.

thanks. i plan a mostly metal building. i have acces to alot of steel pipe and sheets. i can weld .so it will be a nice set up. i do satwater fish and corals now for 30 years and know patience and research. no way i will put these guys in harms way. does anyone know where i can look up breeds, feeding and set up for their house?we have a thing here called 1st monday. the 1st weekend of every month we go there and see all kinda of animals for sale. a guy had some beautiful geese .i think my wife still has his card. have to check.

ok looking around i am thinking Toulouse geese. i have been to 10 sites at least and not one says what temp they like? can they deal with 100 in the summer and 40 in the winter.although its only that cold here for maybe a month. i plan a house where i can put heaters in if i have to.i am getting anxious to start building but . i cant find a site to help? where do they sleep? do i need to make laying boxes like chickens? what temp am i going to keep my man made pond.? i have been doing salt fish forever and have a huge pump as a spare so i plan to run it like a pool so i dont get algae. i can easily plumb this thing and have built ponds for people in the past. i really want to build a work of art for this.

i am in texas outside fort worth.pretty hot today 102. it does get cold for a little bit in the winter. i am not sure on the breed yet but i would like to get something on the bigger side. i dont need 10 geese ,maybe 5 or 6 at the most. you near youngstown? my sis in law lives there.
i know you get some real temp swings up there.

I live in Lucas (Richland co.) which I think is pretty close to Youngstown. Yeah, we've been having some odd weather here lately. We have a pair of Toulouse geese laying late now. I do not know how to handle shipped the eggs, and my guess would be that the temp in Texas may just fry the eggs on the way there. I am 15 so will have to consult my parents. I don't know if we can set anything up now, but maybe spring.

Hello Deejeff . On the pond it does not need to be heated during the Spring through Fall. Only if it is going to get down to freezing then it would need to just be kept from freezing. Mine get on the pond in the winter and walk and ice skate on it.
wink.png

They need shelter at night from predators. Making it predator proof is wise. We have big dog kennels that we put wire on the top of the pens. Like hardware cloth to keep the raccoons and owls out. We also put the hardware cloth around the whole dog kennel pen to keep grabby finger out as well. It is 36" high. Then we put tarps on the top to keep it dry on the inside and around the two sides and leave the front all exposed to have good circulation. Since you are in TX it does get hot there try to find an area where there are trees to help shade them. Make sure you have plenty of Fresh water daily. Because the wash out their mouth with food all the time. Plus deep enough for them to dunk their whole head in the water. They need to clean out their noses all the time as well. Make sure to change water daily! We use children's swimming pools or even the pans they use to mix cement in. They are black and square and easy to dump and refill daily. Water is very important to them and needs to be fresh and clean everyday.

If you do make nest for your geese the do not need to be off the ground. But we take and put a board on the bottom of the nest we make. The nest need to be big enough so the nest gets air all around it. The geese all sleep just out in the pens they do not sleep in the nest. They only lay their eggs in the nest. Myself I use dog carry kennels for my nest for our girls.

Hope I have answered several of your questions.

big help guys thanks. i plan a 10 by 20 pond maybe 18 inches deep and plan to filter it like a pool. i cant free range them cause of my dogs. so i want to make it pretty big so they are happy. i figure 200 sq ft pond and 400 sq ft roaming. i just want maybe 4 or 5 of them.i will build it 8 foot tall so i can walk in easy.got alot of planning. heck the planning will take longer than the building.

Back
Top Bottom