Buyer Beware!!!...Chicken Coops NW

I had the same experience with another company. Not the return part, but in that the wood is cheap, they said it would hold 4 standard size chickens (it will barely hold2), and I doubt it will hold up through the rest of the winter. My chicks haven’t even made it outside yet. I just figured it will be too much trouble to dissasmble it to try to send it back, so I am working on enclosing a dog pen we no longer use and putting the coop inside of it. I will use the old dog house as an extension of the coop, and the chicks will have the whole dog run as their area. I have learned my lesson and won’t try to purchase anything like this without seeing and touching it first.

I actually went and saw the one I wanted put together. I was actually surprised it was pretty solid. I did seal it before I put it together just in case. At this point, only time will tell.

I just discovered that Chicken Coops NW are getting their coops from China after all. I found the import records online:

https://panjiva.com/Alan-Hyatt/35477066

http://www.usportexaminer.com/company/alan-hyatt/394768.php

https://starwellpet.en.alibaba.com/ (Some of the pictures here should look familiar! Also, look at how much the Chinese company is selling the coops for.)
Hi, Arlingtonchick, I too, was taken by Chickencoopsnw. I have requested the owners name and contact information 3 times thus far, and they completely ignore the request and offer me “replacement parts”. “Sheena” has claimed that Alan Hyatt sold his interest in the company, (which I do not believe, as he is still listed as the sole proprietor on the shipping site). I will update as things progress- and they WILL progress!

I'm sure the company selling these prefab coops are reading this and scared ******* - Hahaha. And I'm also sure that Googling up their company/coops will show some of these threads here on BYC to dissuade others from purchasing it...... so you guys in here are doing a job in preventing others the heartache of going this route. Just from reading this thread, the owners of the company sounds like a real snake, trying to prolong the delivery of coop so it goes pass the 30 day or whatever in which you can file a complaint for a return? What a weasel!

Still dealing with the esteemed Mr. Hyatt. (I am a woman of the North, and we do not bend the knee. Also Irish, retired, and with a little bit of discretionary income, so, it’s on.) I am curious to know if anyone else has taken him to small claims court?

Still dealing with the esteemed Mr. Hyatt. (I am a woman of the North, and we do not bend the knee. Also Irish, retired, and with a little bit of discretionary income, so, it’s on.) I am curious to know if anyone else has taken him to small claims court?
I've not found a single prefab coop worth having . So I just use chain link dog kennels and cover them . I know nothing of small claims court . I would think the suit would need to be filed in the state where the product is purchased . :idunnoMight be worth consulting a paralegal to find out . Offering replacement parts might be a stall . Where we live you have a year to file a suit in court.

Thanks for replying. I have discovered that you can take your claim to small claims court in the state where YOU live- that’s good news. Just file at the District court covering the county that you live in.

So, just an update, because it’s been awhile.
1. You can sue in small claims court no matter what state you or the other party live in, just file in your state and they will be served electronically.
2. We won, technically because he defaulted, but the judge did hear us. Of course, he hasn’t paid, and is complaining that the credit card company already refunded us, (they didn’t, and won’t, and I can document that), so we are moving on to the next step in the process. We may never get our money back, or it may take a long time, but it’s important that people know that they are not without some legal recourse - use it! If only half the people who filed complaints here and with the BBB had also filed small claims, he’d be too busy responding to continue scamming his ridiculously shabby “chicken coops” to the public. There is some amusement to be had; be prepared to be referred to as “just a typical whiny customer” “unhappy with whole areas of her life”, and my personal favorite, “No one else has ever taken it this far!” (Gee, Mr Hyatt, how many unhappy customers have you had?)!

I shouldn't have been surprised to find that the wood triangles were just centimeters thick and secured with glue and teeny tiny nails like the majority of the coop

That wood sounds thicker than what is in most coops, even very strongly built DIY builds. My siding on my coop walls is 1/2” which is 1.27 cm. I doubt most people have wood walls that are 2” or more thick and 2”x4” are certainly strong enough to hold the rest of the coop pieces together. How many cm are you talking here ?

Back
Top Bottom