Buying Baytril - Buyer Beware

No difference. I can get the Baytril in my area.
hide.gif
From a local store? Or vet? Or online?

Originally Posted by Yoda

They are the same. The bird baytril says 100mg per 1ml.
Baytril (enrofloxacin) comes in many forms, 100mg/ml, 50mg/ml, 22.7mg/ml, several pills and I think I've even seen an oral suspension from a compounding pharmacy. Every animal is dosed differently. Cats get no more that 5mg/kg and birds get up to 20mg/kg.
Sorry my cat had the same dosage from the vet. My boss at work gave me her bottle that she had for her cat because her cat got sick from baytril and the vet gave it a different prescription and hers was the same 100mg per 1ml.

It also says not to be used for birdsproducing meat or eggs for human consumption.
The Bayer bottle actually says "Federal (U.S.A.) prohibits the extra label use of this drug in food producing animals" even though there is a picture of a cow and pig on both the bottle and label.
Parrots are not food producing animals. The bird places most likely buy directly from Bayer and have permission to sell it that way cause the label has the Bayer logo on it. You cannot compare a prescription bottle label to a non prescription bottle label unless you have both original bottles in front of you.

It is legal because it is labeled as being mixed with water. Cat/dog baytril is either a pill or an injection.
So what's to stop a pet store owner from taking a bottle of Baytril 10% (100mg/ml), putting it in a bottle and slapping a label on it telling cat and dog owners to put an amount in the pet's drinking water? Because that is exactly what the bird places have done.
What the bird places have done it is legal and we can purchase it from them. Not all of us have a bird vet to run our birds to. We have lost birds to illness and or had to perform surgeries on our own from looking at pictures online cause we have to reply on our selves. You are lucky, you have one near by. Also when a cat/dog is sick most people bring them to a Vet not a pet store. If a pet store was to do that then they will be arrested cause the original bottle states for birds such as parrot, etc.

I give .15ml to .2ml (once a day for five days) of the 10% liquid for every kilogram, which is about 35.3 ounces or two pounds 3 ounces. If I give it as a shot, I give it subcutaneously in a bolus of fluids as it can cause injection site reactions, but I usually just give it orally without mixing it.

Warning - Cats should never get more than 5mg/kg a day as it can cause blindness!

I give .15ml to .2ml (once a day for five days) of the 10% liquid for every kilogram, which is about 35.3 ounces or two pounds 3 ounces. If I give it as a shot, I give it subcutaneously in a bolus of fluids as it can cause injection site reactions, but I usually just give it orally without mixing it. Warning - Cats should never get more than 5mg/kg a day as it can cause blindness!
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom