Buying from the mill (feed) question

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
Hey amigos...

So yeah I have had ducks for about half a year now. And its great.

But until now I had been doing sprouts from sunflower seeds etc. The sprouts is great and has worked well.

Recently, from reading comments by others I'm thinking I should mix other feed in also and not only do sprouts. What do you think about this?

Well anyway, where I'm going with this...

I haven't really used the local mill for feed yet, because of the sprouts. But recently it seems that anything that's non-sprouts will be cheaper from the mill. So that's what I'd like to do.

But I don't want to go in there acting like a newbie. And they don't know me. (Some economies it seems like there can be a 'local' price, and a price for out of towners. I don't want to get hit with an out of towner price.

How do you word this when you go to your mill to get cheap feed and not have them give you extra costs but still get quality feed? And curious what you would say about this? And do you need to ask for calcium to be in the mill's feed? Is your local mills good at also having consistency of the same product each time you go?

Do you need to word things a certain way when you go there, to avoid issues with price and feed?

I also think its a possibility that some places may have some price discrepancies as our economy continues to unravel (due to mostly greed).

And what container types do you suggest when you go to your mills? (Do you use buckets or like those tin metal old style garbage cans with lids?) I don't want to use bags which would be a mess.

Our mills have their prices listed. If you live in a place where you can negotiate on the price, I'd go and get a price from a few of them and go for the one that has the products you need at the best price. Once you choose your supplier, ask them how it comes and whether they allow you to have it in your container. Most won't due to biosecurity issues.

There are also some feed distributors that sell bagged feed at a fair price in most rural communities.

Walk right in there and say ‘ Hey, have any duck feed?’ And see what they say. You should go from there, asking about nutrition and cost.

If they ask you how long you’ve had ducks for exaggerate it, saying you’ve had them for years instead of months. If they think your experienced they won’t try to fool you into anything.

I’ve only been able to get feed in bags, but I just dump it into my own container. If they let you use a container I would go for it.

Last edited:
Well I went down there and it turned out OK.

They actually seemed like nice honest people.

I think I'm partly paranoid about being ripped off. So in this case it wouldn't have been a worry.

But if they were mortgage people or realtors I for sure would have in some way lost an arm or a finger at least.

Well I went down there and it turned out OK.

They actually seemed like nice honest people.

I think I'm partly paranoid about being ripped off. So in this case it wouldn't have been a worry.

But if they were mortgage people or realtors I for sure would have in some way lost an arm or a finger at least.
Happy it worked out for you :). I do think you were being a bit paranoid, as most mills are obligated by law to be honest about what their feed is made of and how much it is actually worth. Companies that make feed for retail sale however don’t fall into the same category and are allowed to overprice their feed.

Most people that make stuff for livestock are quite nice, as they really have no reason to be rude about anything.

I have a really honest realtor and mortgage guy. There are dishonest people out there, but good ones too in most fields. Just have to find them. 🙂

I'm glad the feed people were helpful and fair.

Ugh...why can't I find a mill in my area. :(

There has to be something...you are in Texas after all right?

Maybe try different wording?

Back in the day some people called them farm co-ops, or funny names instead of just farm or mill. Maybe this might help?

My dad was telling me for example, his grandpa used to belong to something something seed co-op. And they'd sell sheep products and grain seed to companies which would then resale them.

I wish I had more info for you on alternative names for your area. (Co-op isn't used as much anymore, but in theory there could be other terms that us modern people might not think of.)

(If I weren't in a city and had a few acres I would definitely be trying out sheep too. There's just so many interesting things out there.)

Back
Top Bottom