Buying just a few chicks...where do I go?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by geoaware, May 14, 2008.

1. geoaware

geoaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi all. I want to get just a handful (3-6) Sex-linked hens. Some places I have gone to won't sell me less than a couple of dozen.

Does anyone have any idea of where I can get such a small number??

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
  3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    You can order small numbers like that from

My Pet Chicken

and

Meyer Hatchery

I am ordering from Meyer this Friday. I think My pet chicken gets their chicks from Meyer but I am not sure. Meyer has a great customer service department. They carry the Stars, Golden Buffs and Production Reds (I think).

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    You can also check around your area for chicken owners who will work something out with you.

5. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ideal will also do small numbers. They charge 7.00 for a small order, they'll include males as packing peanuts unless you request that they don't, then there's an additional 'insurance' fee because shipping just a few chicks puts them at risk for chilling.

Good luck to you!

6. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    On here there are some chicken owners that have some that they will sell you. Post in the Buy Sell Section as chickens wanted. You may have to pay for shipping. I will only have day old frizzle and smooth Polish but I'm sure someone else has what you want. You can also look on your local Craigslist and post a free add there as well. Good Luck, Kristina
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by