Ended BYC’s Beautifully Barred Photo Contest

Pics
#3 Little Sage
20220621_220836.jpg

Honestly, I'm still confused by the difference between double-laced and penciled since they look like the same pattern in different colors. :D
They are different genetically. Penciled is the result of carrying the dominant restrictor gene Pg (pattern gene) which restricts the eumelanin (black pigment) to lacing around the feather. The edge of a penciled feather is always the base color of the bird, instead of black like double laced.

(From the image you posted)
Notice the double laced has a black edge, while the penciling has a silver edge, the base color of the bird.

E98B4E77-1198-4340-9BFC-2F284BCE9718.jpeg

When you add the Ml gene (Melanotic), a eumelanin (black pigment) intensifier gene it intensifies the black pigment to wider laces, and also shifts the location so the edge of the feather will always be black. This is double lacing.

(And if we were to want to achieve single lacing we would add the Co gene (columbian) which would push the black pigment further to the edge of the feather resulting in a single laced outlining the edge.)

She's from Tractor Supply, so probably. I'd like to know what she is mixed with, as our other Plymouth Rock had something closer to a typical Plymouth Rock comb, but she too was probably a mix. I have a picture of her as my first entry.
She looks pure, just hatchery quality. Most birds from TSC will be purebred from a hatchery. It’s possible there are exceptions, but that would come down to the individual store.

Back
Top Bottom