BYC Aquarium Thread

Thank you for the link!! Thank you everyone for your input. I am now thinking if maybe getting a 10 gallon...but 5 would be best for her room I think. I would probably get her a betta and maybe a couple of shrimp to go with it....?

If you could spare the space for a 10 gallon I would say go for it. However, they do take up quite a bit of space which won't accommodate some rooms. The Betta with shrimp would make a beautiful tank!

Quote:
Thanks that is probably what we'll do. Now my next question is where should I buy the betta and shrimp? We have pet stores here, some a large fish section. I feel hesitant to buy from the big chain stores due to rampant disease in some of the stores. I had issues with this in the past with my tanks. Is there a reliable and resonably priced online source for good betta and shrimp?

I defiantly understand your hesitance toward chain store. I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful LFS. There are quite a few great online stores. I will go find the links.

if your willing to go overboard on the filtration and water changes on a 5 gal ive always had good luck mixing bettas with white cloud mountain minnows...

if you can up to a 10 your options definatly open up alot more...(and the larger the tnak the more stable it tends to be)

Quote:
I think a beautiful betta would be a perfect fit.
Others could be:

Dwarf frog
Pea puffer
A variety of shrimp

Here is a site for more information on stocking ideas

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_5/volume_5_3/stocking.htm

With Ghost shrimp their tempreature range is slightly different to betta's?? for the shrimp 65-82 F and the betta's 80-85 F , so would the optimum temperature be 80-82F?
smile.png
and the shrimp like hiding places??

Quote:
I think a beautiful betta would be a perfect fit.
Others could be:

Dwarf frog
Pea puffer
A variety of shrimp

Here is a site for more information on stocking ideas

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_5/volume_5_3/stocking.htm

With Ghost shrimp their tempreature range is slightly different to betta's?? for the shrimp 65-82 F and the betta's 80-85 F , so would the optimum temperature be 80-82F?
smile.png
and the shrimp like hiding places??

I believe between 80 and 82 would be the best temperature. However their are plenty of of other shrimp she could choose from. As for the hiding place I personally prefer plants over decorations. Preferably live.

Hi all! Just found this thread
smile.png

Username: Year of the Rooster
Years keeping fish: about 6 years
A few species you have kept: Fancy Goldfish, guppies, danios, tiger barbs, gouramis, clownfish, cardinalfish, angelfish, damsels, tangs, lawnmower blenny, fire goby, just to name some
big_smile.png

Favorite Species: For freshwater, I really liked the goldfish, and for Saltwater I'd have to say either Clownfish or Lawnmower Blennies.
How many tanks do you currently have: one 55 gallon FOWLR tank
Do you have other creatures besides fish? 2 brittles stars, multiple hermit crabs, nassarius snails. Used to have camel shrimp, cleaner shrimp, and ghost shrimp before.
Any Advice for people new to fish keeping? Like others have said, research before you buy. You are building your own little ecosystem, so do what is right and what suits the fish's liking, not yours.

wahh
sad.png
my fish has fin rot and it got worse than it was
hit.gif

settin up a hospital tank
hmm.png
with salt n tri sulpha fingers crossed it works.
fl.gif

grr011.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom