BYC Café

carting the darn thing in my pocket around the house
Lol. What a lucky chick.

Just did an assisted hatch. Wasn't going to, but it was still alive after over 14 hours after it started to zip. Shell & membrane were completely glued to the poor thing. It's in the bator now, but not sure it's going to make it. Lying on its side and not drying off. Chirping lots though.

Lol. What a lucky chick.

Just did an assisted hatch. Wasn't going to, but it was still alive after over 14 hours after it started to zip. Shell & membrane were completely glued to the poor thing. It's in the bator now, but not sure it's going to make it. Lying on its side and not drying off. Chirping lots though.
I wash mine in warm water when they are like that.

My turkey tractor is done, in position and i transferred the turkeys into it. I banded the bigger group before i moved them, so i can tell them apart. As i picked them up, they started yelling. So i just held them and stroked their heads and necks. They calmed right down and i was able to put the bands on without difficulty. I think i really like turkeys. I set them down gently in the tractor and they seemed to enjoy having a better view. They stood and looked into the woods calmly. Only drawback is lots of feed consumed and lots of poo. But i will compost that. 20180527_202025.jpg
20180527_195737.jpg
The turkey tractor before i put the tin roof on today.

My turkey tractor is done, in position and i transferred the turkeys into it. I banded the bigger group before i moved them, so i can tell them apart. As i picked them up, they started yelling. So i just held them and stroked their heads and necks. They calmed right down and i was able to put the bands on without difficulty. I think i really like turkeys. I set them down gently in the tractor and they seemed to enjoy having a better view. They stood and looked into the woods calmly. Only drawback is lots of feed consumed and lots of poo. But i will compost that. View attachment 1408164
View attachment 1408165
The turkey tractor before i put the tin roof on today.

I like your turkey tractor! looks great Cap!

well not all dogs turn out to match their breed descriptions/ personality

That's very true! But it seems like most of them are, at least from the group and research.

But it does seem like different lines have different traits and personalities and the breed still does vary a lot since they aren't bred for conformation. So I do need to do more research into lines and finding the right dog for me.

But even if it doesn't end up exactly lile the breed description, I wouldn't give up on it. All my animals will live out their lives fully here. :)

I just need a pet and companion for me anyway so even if it doesn't want to do sports or isn't perfect or whatever, that's okay.

My only real criteria is that it gets along with the other animals (cat, chickens, and dogs, Gator if I still have him and Libby) but even that, I can manage through training and by keeping them separated if absolutely necessary. Not ideal, of course, but not going to give up on it.

And aggression, depending how severe, might be an issue or deal breaker too but even that, I would try to work through it and do everything I could first.

So it's fine if I get a misfit. :)

BUT.

I am going to continue to do tons of research into the lines and into the breed and finding a good breeder so I have a better chance of having a dog that has the traits I want.

Back
Top Bottom