BYC Café

The first step to recovery is admitting you have an addiction ;)

I'm starting to think I'm really glad I have no idea what "The Stand" is about.
And DON'T say it here! There are some things I can live without knowing.

That looks like a very vertical "curve" and on the wrong side! I think we'll be very lucky if we "only" hit China's current total of ~160K currently infected and recovered and 3,300 dead. Pretty poor odds given China has 1.4 BILLION people to our 330 Million.
:(

Good morning Cafe.
Coffee is on the stove. Tea bags and kettle on the counter.
Blue skies and sunshine here this morning.
Looking at the virus development around the world, culture seems to have a huge influence on the spread and the response.
Good morning Shad. I awoke to a possum attack, and now I'm wide awake.

So far in the USA 2,229 there have been 2,229 deaths attributed to Covid-19
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1093256/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-deaths-worldwide-by-country/
Last years flu season accounted for 80,000 deaths (this is an estimate because many flue deaths are not recorded)
https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/

Exactly what I've been reading.
I'm not saying Covid-19 isn't serious because it is. But it's being blown way out of proportion. You can't know the true statistics of either of these diseases unless every member of the population is tested so you know exactly how many have contracted it and how many have died from the disease.

I suspect one reason there are so many flu deaths is because people go to work/school/other activities when they are sick. Probably have a lot less problem with the flu every year if people followed the advice now being given for the Coronavirus.
I think grinding the planet to a halt every time a virus is causing disease might be a tad overkill.

I hope that something good does come from all this... but I doubt it.

The pollution levels are at an all time low. Will we try to encourage this to continue?

People are being more cognizant of wastefulness because they suddenly can't just traipse to the corner store for whatever their little hearts desire. They aren't throwing things out. They are reusing. Will we continue this??

People are now reacting to the true no-see-ums that can kill you and how our own behavior and selfishness can cause the death of another. Will we, as a global society, start to think more of others vs. just ourselves?

I don't consider myself a pessimist but a realist and I think the answer to all of my questions is "No. We won't." Because this too shall pass and most people will go right back to the way things were before. A very small percentage of the population may alter their behavior but I don't think it will make any meaningful impact.

GOOD MORNING, Cafe!!! Thank you for the coffee, Shad.
It's dreary, drizzly and a sopping wet muddy mess outside. But, hey, it's going to be pushing 60F today so I'll take it!
I'll be darting off to the store to get some produce before the mobs arrive then hopefully I'll make some progress at dad's house today.
Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom