BYC Café

Sorry, stressful morning with the chickies. My fault, should've read more last night, but thought 24hrs was normal to wait. Not after starting to zip, though... So helped little one out of shell :fl Another zipped right out but it stuck to shell.

Need more coffee.
PXL_20210224_144008173.jpg

PXL_20210224_132938880.jpg

Little baby ninjas. Couldn't get a clear picture to save my life!

Now I've got a hen with a severe prolapse.
I found her with poopy butt late last night and should have brought her in then. I cleaned her up this morning. It looks bad. I slathered it with hemorrhoid cream, pushed it in and held it. She pushed it back out. I did that 4 more times. It won't stay in. I'm hoping that the hemorrhoid cream will eventually reduce swelling enough to help it stay in.
If not, I've lost another one.
This is Barb, my first broody mom
View attachment 2543121
She pooped on it.
Oh no, not Barb :hit

Sorry, DL. Always something, isn't it?

Sorry, stressful morning with the chickies. My fault, should've read more last night, but thought 24hrs was normal to wait. Not after starting to zip, though... So helped little one out of shell :fl Another zipped right out but it stuck to shell.

Need more coffee.
View attachment 2543251
View attachment 2543252
Little baby ninjas. Couldn't get a clear picture to save my life!
The important thing is to make sure the stuck umbilical is not pulled. That can pull out the organs and kill the chick. The others in the incubator can do this so it is a good idea to remove that one.

You can carefully cut the umbilical close to the shell. IF there is ooze, you can tie it off with dental floss. It it will dry out and fall off.

The important thing is to make sure the stuck umbilical is not pulled. That can pull out the organs and kill the chick. The others in the incubator can do this so it is a good idea to remove that one.

You can carefully cut the umbilical close to the shell. IF there is ooze, you can tie it off with dental floss. It it will dry out and fall off.
Okay, thank you! I removed the other chicks so they wouldn't be clobbering the poor little thing. Will it detach on its own?

Pretty dumb to hatch when I couldn't be home to take care of issues. Won't do that again!

Okay, thank you! I removed the other chicks so they wouldn't be clobbering the poor little thing. Will it detach on its own?

Pretty dumb to hatch when I couldn't be home to take care of issues. Won't do that again!
Yes, the umbilicus will fall off when it dries.

It is still a danger until then though. It is sad when they die that way.

Makes me wonder if the epinephrine injectors that have to be tossed after a year wouldn't be good longer. They are too expensive to toss if they are still good!
Well, I would not want to try out if they are still good enough!
Other than with most medications or vitamins, in case of emergency one must be sure to get the whole dose and not only some 65% or similar, which might make the difference between life or death.

Back
Top Bottom