BYC Café

My friend and I were relaxing by the pond....dogs were playing.....idyllic scene. My Aussie, Trip was about a year and a half old...he came around a tree and his back foot sunk into a yellow jacket nest....they streamed out like water from a hose and were all over him before we could even move from our chairs!!! He didn't move...stood there looking at me, getting stung all over...... I ran up and grabbed him and my first thought was to run to the pond. A few steps toward the pond and I realized we were getting covered with yellow jackets and the pond wasn't going to save us without scuba gear!!! So we ran to the training building....probably 150 feet away. We dived in and slammed the door.....and started slapping the yellow jackets off of him. By the time we got the bees off him and called the vet...his eyes were swollen shut and he had lumps all over....probably 10-20 stings!! Poor, poor boy!!! Took him home to give benedryl....
I always have benedryl on hand. I went into anaphylactic shock a few years ago from antibiotics that my dog got on my hand when she chewed up her pill. The paramedic told me next time to chew 50 mg of benedryl instantly. He said it instantly goes in your system. They had to put am 18 gauge needle in my arm to get me benedryl because the epi pen wasn't an option since my heart was racing at 180.

That is a very scary story!
Yes....it was a memorable "chapter" in my boy's eventful life. He also skidded across the frozen pond when he was 1 and went splash right into the opening in the center caused by the aeration pump. It was 20 degrees and he couldn't lift himself out. (1/2 acre pond). He tried an tried to get up on the ice. I saw it happen and ran up to the edge of the pond but ice wouldn't support my weight. Scary thing was.....as soon as I ran up he stopped trying to get himself out. I remember thinking "He's exhausted already?? He's a young, fit dog!!" I stooped down and slapped my leg and said "You come!" Trip...you COME!! He dug deep and finally dragged himself up on top of the ice and over to me. I took him home and put a crate by the heat register and turned the heat up.....then took a hair dryer to him. As I reflected later...I think when he saw me come he thought "Oh...she's here....she'll get me"....so he stopped trying. Interestingly, I called the fire dept several days later to ask if they would have come if we called about the dog. They said "Yes....because if we don't....you'll be calling back in 10 minutes about a person AND dog in the pond." Good to know....

I always have benedryl on hand. I went into anaphylactic shock a few years ago from antibiotics that my dog got on my hand when she chewed up her pill. The paramedic told me next time to chew 50 mg of benedryl instantly. He said it instantly goes in your system. They had to put am 18 gauge needle in my arm to get me benedryl because the epi pen wasn't an option since my heart was racing at 180.
Oh my goodness how scary!!! :eek:

Yes....it was a memorable "chapter" in my boy's eventful life. He also skidded across the frozen pond when he was 1 and went splash right into the opening in the center caused by the aeration pump. It was 20 degrees and he couldn't lift himself out. (1/2 acre pond). He tried an tried to get up on the ice. I saw it happen and ran up to the edge of the pond but ice wouldn't support my weight. Scary thing was.....as soon as I ran up he stopped trying to get himself out. I remember thinking "He's exhausted already?? He's a young, fit dog!!" I stooped down and slapped my leg and said "You come!" Trip...you COME!! He dug deep and finally dragged himself up on top of the ice and over to me. I took him home and put a crate by the heat register and turned the heat up.....then took a hair dryer to him. As I reflected later...I think when he saw me come he thought "Oh...she's here....she'll get me"....so he stopped trying. Interestingly, I called the fire dept several days later to ask if they would have come if we called about the dog. They said "Yes....because if we don't....you'll be calling back in 10 minutes about a person AND dog in the pond." Good to know....

Glad it turned out ok BB!

I am happy that you did not fall in! about 5 years ago a BYC member and her Daughter drowned in their pond trying to save a Llama. The Llama was fine but they did not make it.

Back
Top Bottom