BYC Café

@sourland, my local vet agreed to take the wart off Fuji's front leg for between $200 and $300 under local. She goes in a week from Monday.
The estimate came back from Cornell for doing the MCT removal. I was off on what I thought they would charge. They estimate the cost would be between $2,500 and $3,500 to remove two MCTs from the skin. Unbelievable.
I had two MCTs removed from her the last time at my local vet for $450. I thought the estimate would be $1,500 at Cornell for something similar.
Insane and greedy.

DL, I'm late to the party, but agree with taking off that wart & just keeping her comfortable & happy with the rest. I cant believe they're charging you that much just to remove a wart. :rant

I have two hospice dogs here right now. One who cant really walk & another that is having seizures. The vet thinks the seizures are from a pituitary tumor. Its cost us hundreds of dollars in tests just for her to say she'd like to do another $600 blood test for Cronin's disease, then set up surgery & chemo & radiation... for life.... for a senior dog. She makes me feel like I'm a bad pet owner, but there is something to be said for quality of life. Neither of these dogs is long for this earth. I will not torture him thru his last few months by having him stressed at the vet every other day & being poked, prodded & poisoned. We are giving him glucosamine & CBD to help keep him comfortable & hopefully minimize the seizures. I will look into the turmeric too.

My other dog that cant really walk, now spends most of his time in a dog stroller & a doggy backpack. As ludacris as this sounds, it has given him a new lease on life. He is healthy other than the partial loss of his back legs & seems to really be loving his new status. If not for the stroller, I would have had to put him down months ago.

I know I will have to make some tough calls eventually, but while they are still barking, wagging their tails, & eager to eat & drink on their own I will continue to watch them close & keep them as comfortable as possible. (sigh!)

DL, I'm late to the party, but agree with taking off that wart & just keeping her comfortable & happy with the rest. I cant believe they're charging you that much just to remove a wart. :rant

I have two hospice dogs here right now. One who cant really walk & another that is having seizures. The vet thinks the seizures are from a pituitary tumor. Its cost us hundreds of dollars in tests just for her to say she'd like to do another $600 blood test for Cronin's disease, then set up surgery & chemo & radiation... for life.... for a senior dog. She makes me feel like I'm a bad pet owner, but there is something to be said for quality of life. Neither of these dogs is long for this earth. I will not torture him thru his last few months by having him stressed at the vet every other day & being poked, prodded & poisoned. We are giving him glucosamine & CBD to help keep him comfortable & hopefully minimize the seizures. I will look into the turmeric too.

My other dog that cant really walk, now spends most of his time in a dog stroller & a doggy backpack. As ludacris as this sounds, it has given him a new lease on life. He is healthy other than the partial loss of his back legs & seems to really be loving his new status. If not for the stroller, I would have had to put him down months ago.

I know I will have to make some tough calls eventually, but while they are still barking, wagging their tails, & eager to eat & drink on their own I will continue to watch them close & keep them as comfortable as possible. (sigh!)
It's sounds like we have the same basic philosophy for geriatric pet care. :hugs

DL. you & Sean were taking turmeric, but I've missed something... Do you use the powder, a pill... Did Sean say he grows his? I welcome any advice I can get.
I put a link in my reply to Sean. I make golden paste. It includes ground black pepper and coconut oil. I buy bulk organic tumeric powder.

Back
Top Bottom