BYC Café

Our bete noire (appropriate, n'est-ce pas?) is the Black Horse Fly - them thangs even look evil! I understand that that type of biting flies' mouth parts don't pierce, they slice - which is why you can often see blood dripping from the bite site on a horse. Poor Bella, but what a smart girl to come to you and let you deal with it.:thumbsup

It doesn't have to be a special event storm. All you need is a soaking wet ground and lots of rain. With thirteen acres, some trees are bound to fall over. The people that had this place before us didn't do much maintenance.
Sounds much like here. A bit of torrential rain to wash the soil away from the roots and a bit of wind and the pines in particular go over. In big storms you can hear trees coming down up and down the valley.

Glad the storm passed by without wrecking your place @aart, and that you got your flock separated - you made it sound easy!

:fl

:drool oo - one of my favorite soups. Summer in a bowl. Unless you put too much garlic in of course :gig:th
I make it on the thin side and have it as a drink. Great straight out of the fridge with a bit of ice.

Good morning Cafe. Coffee is ready.

I managed to get the dogs out for a quick run after work yesterday. As I was coming out of the wooded trail along the creek bed I heard Bella start screaming. I turned around and she was ripping through the woods like her arse was on fire just shrieking. I thought she'd gotten it good by a woodchuck. When she got to me she sat down and spun around to her right hip where I saw what we've always not so affectionately referred to as a B-52 bomber latched on to her. These are brown faced horse flies about 2 inches long that will send a horse into a craze trying to get it off. I gave it a slap hard enough to get it off Bella then stomped it into oblivion. Bella was so shaken up by this she was glued to my leg.

I took her down to the creek to wade in her pool and that seemed to settle her down.
As we were walking out of the creek bed, my reading glasses on my head, phone in right hand, coffee (must always carry coffee) in my left hand, something started buzzing around my right ear. I swatted at it but it was very loud, very persistent and I started to panic. I moved my coffee mug between my left elbow and side and held my phone with my left hand to free my right hand to really get this thing away from me.

I couldn't get it to go away!! I went into Bella panic mode bending down and swapping like a recently released asylum patient sending my reading glasses flying and causing my coffee to spill out directly onto my phone! I did finally get the insect to leave... it was likely a just a gnat. I blame Bella for the entire incident going down that way.
Horse flies here. Nasty little buggers.

Back
Top Bottom