BYC Café

My last dog had to be put down at 14, in Jan.89 haven't had a dog since. I don't mind the grooming (I was a groomer), don't mind the training- wasn't difficult at all with the breed I had. But, I don't drive - could never afford the upkeep of car. But, mainly as a senior now, I can't afford my health care and that of a dog. Even the routine stuff like vaccinations etc.,costs more and more. And that is hoping the dog doesn't get an injury or need diagnosis from a vet.

In the older days, used to give our own DHL shots. I suppose by now there are a million more things they give shots for, aside from rabies. And as Sourland believes, you get a dog late in life and you won't be around to care for it. I have no family/friend that would take in a dog, if/when I kick off.
Gator is going to be my last pup too. Hate to think of an empty house when he's gone, but at nearly 70, no telling. I want to outlive my current BF, and he's been the best dog I've ever had by far.

I am fortunate Son is in on any animals here and will care for them of place what ever is the time .. I intend to live allot more years just 60 God willing :gig
Well, my paternal grandmother lived to 101, and dad 94, mom's mom lived to 92. The genes are there, but with the cost of vet care continuing to climb annually and my income not going up in the same manner, kinda puts the kabosh on future animals. I'll keep playing with my chickens until I no longer can manage that.

Gator is going to be my last pup too. Hate to think of an empty house when he's gone, but at nearly 70, no telling. I want to outlive my current BF, and he's been the best dog I've ever had by far.
Our dog’s name was Gator too!! And I’ve seen one other dog I think recently that was named Gator too. Seems to be getting more and more popular. I love it. When we had ours, no one had ever heard of a dog named Gator and neither had I. No one else had one. We had to put him down almost 2 years ago now. 😭 Hard to believe it’s been that long.

Our dog’s name was Gator too!! And I’ve seen one other dog I think recently that was named Gator too. Seems to be getting more and more popular. I love it. When we had ours, no one had ever heard of a dog named Gator and neither had I. No one else had one. We had to put him down almost 2 years ago now. 😭 Hard to believe it’s been that long.
Gator came from the Pensacola Humane Society. I got him a week after having to have my rottie put to sleep due to a totally torn up knee he got chasing deer. One of my neighbors from the 'old' place in Seminole sent a condolence card, and suggested I go have a look see at the shelter.. He knew how devastated I was at losing my buddy. So I went, and Gator was one of those guys (Pit mix) left over from the 12 dogs of Christmas. He smiled at me, went out to play in the yard with me and said.. can I please come home with you? And that was that.. Home we went. He's been the best guy in the world in spite of the breed. Never leaves the yard, never shows aggression, baby sits chicks in the brooder, and keeps me company. What more could you ask for?
20181215_210651.jpg

Gator came from the Pensacola Humane Society. I got him a week after having to have my rottie put to sleep due to a totally torn up knee he got chasing deer. One of my neighbors from the 'old' place in Seminole sent a condolence card, and suggested I go have a look see at the shelter.. He knew how devastated I was at losing my buddy. So I went, and Gator was one of those guys (Pit mix) left over from the 12 dogs of Christmas. He smiled at me, went out to play in the yard with me and said.. can I please come home with you? And that was that.. Home we went. He's been the best guy in the world in spite of the breed. Never leaves the yard, never shows aggression, baby sits chicks in the brooder, and keeps me company. What more could you ask for?
View attachment 2353562
Awwww he sounds amazing!! :love I honestly think most of the stuff said about pit bulls are from people that have never met the breed OR don’t really know what a pit is (lots of breeds get mislabeled as such) cause all the ones I’ve ever met have been incredibly sweet. :love I’m sure bad ones do exist but still. So sad that everybody hates them cause I know plenty of vicious chihuahuas 😂🤣

View attachment 2353562
He's beautiful :love

People seem to hate Rotties too for some reason and all those “scary” type breeds :( but I knew someone that had a Rottie and he was the biggest goofball in the world 😂🤣 and so sweet. Our Gator was a black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix. He got MMM (we think anyway) and had to be put down at only 6 1/2 after declining for about a year and a half or two beforehand 😭😭 the last 6 months or year or so were probably the worst cause he started having so many infections. Skin, ear, eye, etc. and was in and out of the vet so much. At one point he lost like almost all his fur or at least his undercoat. Never really grew back.

Last edited:
People seem to hate Rotties too for some reason and all those “scary” type breeds :( but I knew someone that had a Rottie and he was the biggest goofball in the world 😂🤣 and so sweet. Our Gator was a black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix. He got MMM (we think anyway) and had to be put down at only 6 1/2 after declining for about a year and a half or two beforehand 😭😭 the last 6 months or so were probably the worst cause he started having so many infections. Skin, ear, eye, etc. and was in and out of the vet so much. At one point he lost like almost all his fur or at least his undercoat. Never really grew back.
Here's the big bundle of silly I lost: he loved fishing for tadpoles!
I still miss him.

Back
Top Bottom