BYC Café

Absolutely ! Photo period impacts roosters just as it does hens resulting in lowered T levels. Ever process a rooster in the winter ? The size of their testicles is generally much smaller than normal.
Sheesh, I didn't know that either! I've only ever processed in winter, so I haven't had a chance to see the difference. I guess I assumed the lowered fertility rate was due to less activity, cold, daylight etc. Not that their marbles shrank :confused:

You guys are full of good information :highfive:

Oh, good! I still have all of the ones I removed so I can check them out. I've only got 3 roosters over about 90 hens. They may be a little over worked ;)

Thank you for the information, Ron. Always learning something!
Since you are hatching eggs from your flock, you want to make sure the parents are very healthy.

I read an article about salmon hatched at the Red Bluff Fish hatchery being niacin deficient. It Turns out that the parent fish were deficient and they were from the ocean!

For some reason, niacin is becoming scarce even in the ocean

Since you are hatching eggs from your flock, you want to make sure the parents are very healthy.

I read an article about salmon hatched at the Red Bluff Fish hatchery being niacin deficient. It Turns out that the parent fish were deficient and they were from the ocean!

For some reason, niacin is becoming scarce even in the ocean
Is the chick with wry neck indicative of deficiency in the parent(s)?

Morning Cafe. Nice pics Meg, Hope things get better Tonya. I'll start with have a good day, one day at a time.

I am not against vaccines either and didn't mean to sound that way. Just wish we would have known what all was going into a 1yr old. I would've waited on a couple of them and as you mentioned 9 at a time is a lot.
The tetnus shot which is very common and good for 7yrs but will be re given 6 months later if you can't tell them the day, time and place you got your last one. It also has the whooping cough and other vaccines in it that they don't tell you about.
The hospital gets a Gov kickback for every shot they administer whether you need it or not. So you pay to get it and the Gov pays them to give it. Nice double whammy.
My last tetanus boost was in 1996 and last years titer test revealed that my antibodies are still good for at least another 15 years. So, imagine...

Same goes for overly vaccinating dogs and cats with "yearly booster shots". Quite a secure way to make sure your patients will be regular customers and for years to come considering the side effects.

I guess I assumed the lowered fertility rate was due to less activity, cold, daylight etc. Not that their marbles shrank :confused:

You guys are full of good information :highfive:
'Shrinkage' in another species . :lau I'm figuring lower T levels leads to lower activity as well as lower fertility. That is a lot of hens for 3 roosters to cover.

'Shrinkage' in another species . :lau I'm figuring lower T levels leads to lower activity as well as lower fertility. That is a lot of hens for 3 roosters to cover.
:gig

I'm sure you're right. I never gave it too much thought, really. I will keep an unaggressive cockerel if I think there is room for him and he isn't causing trouble with the existing hens/roosters. And if he's perty :p I can keep more to get fertility up, but I never cared before. Maybe, to keep an addiction at bay, I'd better not start caring!

If there is a deficiency, however, I would like to fix it. Might be hard to figure out, though?

Is the chick with wry neck indicative of deficiency in the parent(s)?
It is an indication of a deficiency. Try bumping up the vitamins in the parent flock.

The chick gets its nutrition from the egg and the egg comes from the parents.

:gig

I'm sure you're right. I never gave it too much thought, really. I will keep an unaggressive cockerel if I think there is room for him and he isn't causing trouble with the existing hens/roosters. And if he's perty :p I can keep more to get fertility up, but I never cared before. Maybe, to keep an addiction at bay, I'd better not start caring!

If there is a deficiency, however, I would like to fix it. Might be hard to figure out, though?
There is a feed called breeders rations that you might be able to find. If not, you can boost nutrition with vitamins like rooster booster and give supplements like calf manna

There is a feed called breeders rations that you might be able to find. If not, you can boost nutrition with vitamins like rooster booster and give supplements like calf manna
I have Nutri-Drench, so I can give them some of that. I can order some brewers yeast if you think Niacin could be an issue.

I've not seen Breeders rations before. I did just find an All Flock on Valley Vet that has 28% protein. Seems excessive, but what do I know. Just never have seen one that high!

I have Nutri-Drench, so I can give them some of that. I can order some brewers yeast if you think Niacin could be an issue.

I've not seen Breeders rations before. I did just find an All Flock on Valley Vet that has 28% protein. Seems excessive, but what do I know. Just never have seen one that high!
Brewers yeast is a good idea!

20% protein is good and an all flock type of poultry feed with free choice calcium and grit. Limited treats.

Also remember to make sure they are wormed.

Back
Top Bottom