Mahonri

Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
May 14, 2008
North Phoenix
My Coop
My Coop
Back when I joined BYC in May of 2008, there were less than 11,000 members, (in fact, I am member #10,376) .....now with over 66,000 users things have really changed.

Now, there are always more guests online than actual members.

At one time I was able to keep track of a goodly number of members, now I feel like a 'drive-by-poster'.

I try to help folks that haven't got an answer but there are times when I might not have the correct answer and I hate those who constantly 'bump' threads.

Of course the vast majority of you are new members, in fact many more than over half of the members have never posted, correct?

I'm just wondering if any of the rest of the old timers have noticed the 'evolution'... and just wondering what we can all do to help give it the feel it had two years ago. I'm wondering about and "Old BYC member section" LOL.

Anymore when I come on, I first check the AZ thread, then the Breeds,Genetics & Showing and then I check out unanswered posts.
Back in the day I could do a good read of all the sections and catch up with lots of folks, now it's next to impossible unless you are just checking up on 'buddies'.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
Honestly, I think a lot of it is perception vs. things that have "really changed" or "evolved". We have a lot of "total members" but the number of active members and how frequently they post new topics is about exactly the same as it was over a year ago.

A few of you comments talk about not being able to keep up compared to when you joined in 5/2008. I keep very specific track of daily, weekly, and monthly stats on every bit of BYC, so I can review the hard numbers. While BYC's average daily new members, new topics, and new posts increased a lot from 5/2008 to 5/2009, there actually hasn't been that much of a change between 5/2009 and 5/2010. So, the point: If you were able to keep up on people and topics a year ago you should absolutely be able to keep up now.
smile.png

I've never been able to keep up on everything going on. When the forum was first recreated in 2007 I subscribed to every single topic I posted in... that lasted about 4 months and then I was more selective about subscribing. Now I only check the handful of sections of the forum that interest me and if some active / recent topics catch my eye I may jump in. Personally, I don't feel my ability to keep up with what interests me has changed over the past 30 months.

Another perception thing that happens on forums: Members build friendships with specific "active members" and as the months and years pass by, some of those members drift off. For the ones that stick around for years, it can really feel like things have "changed" or "evolved"... and in some regards they have, but it usually has more to do with specific peeps vs. the overall tone and feel of a community.

Of course, I'm lucky that for the most part my core group of close friends (most in the BYC Staff) are still around and so that affects my perception.

With all that said, forums are living and changing organisms. While I personally don't think the tone or feel of BYC has changed a ton over the past 2 years, there definitely have been some things that have changed here and there... but I don't think they have been bad... except for the times where past super active members have become busy with other aspects of life and drifted away (and will hopefully rejoin the flock).

So, I'm not sure what to suggest.
hu.gif
Other than limiting new members and how much people can post, I'm not sure how to resolve some of the issues (many I believe have to do with perception) that some "old timers" may be feeling... but we're open to suggestions!

(oh, and I'll subscribe to this thread
smile.png
)

One interesting bit of statistics (I love stats):

The number of new TOPICS over the past 14 days is less this year compared to the same 14 days last year. BUT there were the same number of new posts this year compared to last. My theory: People are finding existing topics quicker and easier now than they were last year and replying to them vs. creating new topics.

I think you are probably correct... it has to be perception.... and last year at this time it seems I was on a little BYC vacation.
wink.png

Heck there has even been an evolution in my back yard... I remember my wife telling me I could only have 10 chickens....
lau.gif

I went from having one of everything to limiting what I have to a couple of breeds plus extras.

But I'm still looking for that... I don't know how to describe it... old BYC feeling... maybe I'm just getting OLD!!

I'd still like to see what others think...

and I've got to get some sleep... perhaps on the plane to DC tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi Mahonri, I've been a member since 04/13/2008. Where did you find out how many members were on BYC at that time???? and I cannot remember the exact number of members that were on there then.....I know what it is Mahonri, you miss my posts
smile.png
I've been so busy on the farm taking care of the "honey" I only wanted 25 chickens - yikes now at roughly 500 (I don't have time to count them all) and doing expansions of our farm activities that I fall asleep on our posts! When I do my scans, I worry about those that have unanswered posts, but I just have to believe that they are being answered cause Mahonri, you and I just cannot answer all of this.... I understand the need to sleep! It does seem that my buds have disappeared but maybe it's just that I'm not on here as much or that I'm missing them when I'm on here.

Now Mahonri, somewhere in your post, I don't know, it may be my lack of sleep and ADD, you were suggesting something about a section for the "Old timeers"..... I think an "Old Member section" somewhere might be a fun idea.....As Long as I don't have to be 80 years old because I don't qualify yet, though with all this manual farming if aches and pains in the body count, I'm like 110 years old today.

Maybe they could call us, the "Pioneers" ...... Or the Poultry Blazers. (I like the later one) If down the road a decision is made to add a section, we could even have a contest to name it! I love contests!
cool.png

I don't know if there is an interest in this or not?

Rob, a coupla questions, ideas:

1. Could we post a poll, or send pm's or e mails to those who were members say prior to a certain date if they would like a special section

2. What was the count when I joined or where can I find that - it intrigues me?

3. Could we send out "missing you" cards to those that disappeared and ask a brief questionnaire if they haven't posted in say 6 months?

Just a few thoughts? Mahonri, safe travels and Good Morning to all and have a blessed day!

Last edited:
Thanks Nancy... yeah, I miss your posts. and I know you are busy.... You've added more breeds since I bought hatching eggs from you.

We have a good member here in the valley who has used Olivia that speckled sussex I hatched from your eggs in their "Aloha" project... they are making their own breed of Western U.S. bird out here and she is one of the original stock!

As for your member #... Nancy you are BYC member #8848

Your page
176 X 50 + 48 = 8848... but your profile says you are #8875???

That means exactly 1500 joined between the two of us in just one month! You are a true BYC Pioneer!

Thanks for the suggestions....

Last edited:
I used to be mildly upset when a formerly very active friend's life changed and they couldn't participate with BYC as much or at all. But now I realize that you can't hold on to things and friendships forever. I just hope I made their life more pleasant and fun during the time our stars collided on BYC and that they have fond memories too.

Wow, yesterday was my 2nd BYC anniversary, didn't realize until now. Time flies when you're having fun!

I have noticed a lot of focal shifting on BYC, too, Mahonri.

Back
Top Bottom