BYC Evolution

I think I joined the fall after you Mahonri. I think you already had 10,000 posts by then.
roll.png

I remember the eyes on that avatar you had, used to creep me out a little.
big_smile.png

I don't have a problem keeping up with all the posts, guess I read fast, cause just yesterday I was thinking that BYC moved too slowly. Maybe because I'm on vacation this week and am getting on every few hours.

I agree with Buff that it's a little sad when some of the old timers leave, but a lot of the new members are great.

The only change I've noticed and it may be my perception, is that there seems to be less of the really random off the wall threads started. I was telling Gritty last month, that I've only started like 5 threads since I joined, and I need to up my game.

Imp- Hatching impsters

Last edited:
I honestly do see a little bit of a difference between BYC when I found it (03/2009) to when I registered (05/2009) to when I posted first (07/2009) to now, but not much.
I never saw this site two years ago, so I guess I should shut up.
hu.gif

Oh and what # member am I?

I agree with you in here, it waxs and wanes, ebbs and flows with the time and how people reacts in certain things and it makes it a very interesting BYC website. Such so many diversities of people coming on here! We are all sort of colorless, blind in who any of the BYCers are when it comes to chickens and spread the wealth of knowledge about them. Sure we have lost a few but I am one of those "old timers" from the OLD Yuku and one other webserver that the man started the BYC. His name slipped me now. Kent in WA was funny and we were all wracky LOL! And we did have some influencial breeders a few times, some old Orp breeders, Catalupa Farms, Gabbard Farms (The Farmer's Wife) went underground or disappeared from site. Consider yourself lucky if you got some of their birds because sometimes, they got out of breeding for any particular reasons of their own.

I do miss them all but I do not remember my # so I was kind of hesitant to join on here because something was so hard to let go of the old Yuku BYC. Habits die hard and it gets easier but I do make an occassional visit there from time to time.

pips&peeps :

I'm user 5825....

Mahonri, I like your old avatar picture.
big_smile.png

I agree BYC has changed more in personality than anything over the past couple of years.

Me too, Jesus' picture!!!!!!!​

Great discussion everybody!

History of BYC can be found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9631

Great
point regarding "ebbs and flows". BYC (and almost all other raising chicken groups and websites) is VERY seasonal with regard to activity. February - June are the most busy times where we get a LOT of new members. Things are slowing down right now and will continue to slow down for the next 4 months which will feel a little like "change".

Regarding the suggestions:

1. a special section: While a whole section may not be appropriate, maybe a thread for members over xx years would be fun.

2. What was the count when I joined:
If you click on your profile link and look at the URL you'll see a number at the end. This is basically how many members there were when you joined. E.g., https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/profile.php?id=8875

3. Could we send out "missing you" cards
That's a great idea! We don't want to spam them, but if you have friends that haven't been around for a while I'm sure a note saying hello would be appreciated. I definitely love to know where and why some of my favorite peeps aren't around, but I know that they, like most others, get busy and need to focus on other areas of life. It happens... it's the nature of things on forums, online, and in life in general.

Back
Top Bottom