BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    When life gives you apples....
    [​IMG]

...make applesauce!
    [​IMG]

Six pounds of apple chunks equals four pints of sauce.

1 person likes this.
  2. ducksanddoxies

ducksanddoxies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2014
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] Me too!!!

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG] 6 quarts of Russian dills. They are so good...

4. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Good Job!

5. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Oooooo..... Yummmmm....

6. City farm

City farm Overrun With Chickens

Jul 6, 2012
    Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
    [​IMG]

This is Devin claw, it grows wild here in Arizona. It's about 3 weeks old. Even in 110 degress. I'll keep you updated

7. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    This is the year of recovery in my yard as I get the once-abandoned fruit trees back in order. I was pleasantly surprised to see that a streetside nectarine tree had eight (8) lovely orbs on it. Then this week I came out and six were gone! No sign of pits or anything. The two remaining on the tree were still pretty firmly attached. Then yesterday I noticed they, too, had vanished overnight.

At first I thought neighbors. (Bad, untrusting, I know) And then I started freaking out because I have a gorgeous crop of red pears streetside that everybody comments about as they walk by. Trying to give my neighbors the benefit of the doubt, I started thinking of our local wildlife. I knew it wasn't ground squirrels or rabbits because they tend to gnaw and leave the fruit (apples) on the ground in close proximity to the tree.

Then I thought -- aha! -- let's call Animal Control and find out what tree-climbing fruit-pilfering wildlife is in the area. Turns out the two main suspects are porcupines and raccoons, and the former is fairly not likely because they live down by the Bosque and it would be a hefty trek for a piece of fruit.

This is good to know because I'm about to build a chicken coop. I know we have coyotes lurking, but now I know what to fortify the coop against. And next year I'll just have to pick the crop early before it ripens unto temptation.

8. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Today's gleanings from the garden....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Any guesses on what kind of apples these are? One's light green that ripens with bright pink shoulders...perhaps a gala?. The other is just red, but not a red delicious. We have a red delicious at streetside)

The pears we'll wrap for ripening. One of these lugs of apples got juiced and the results turned into 15 half-pints of mulled cider jelly; the other will become applesauce tomorrow (still lots on the tree). The table grapes....well, snacking.

Spent half the morning (re)weeding the vegetable enclosure....need to put down the weed cloth and some gravel. Next year hope to have lots of tomatoes, peppers and salsa from the area....along with my chicken coop that I need to get started on as eggs in the bator are on Day 12.

Found out a better understanding of the term "attractive nuisance" as the apple trees are getting the eye from neighbors. The decent ones at least ask if they can have a couple (and I usually send them home with some grapes, too), BUT I have noticed several horseback riders allowing their mounts an impromptu harvest from my streetside trees. >:/ I've got plenty to share, but -- please -- boundaries...

9. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    VERY NICE!

10. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

As a kid, I remember the stolen apples always tasting better [​IMG]

Put up a sign that says "Apples treated with DDT" or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by