BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Chicken with thyme.

Mari is just pruning up my herbs a bit today.

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Looks delicious.

3. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Chicken with thyme? Why isn't that chicken nekkid? And lying down?

Lovely picture. What kind of bird?

1 person likes this.
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Apples: look like Cortland on L, and Mac on R. Sage goes well with chicken too!

5. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Hooray! After looking at the google images I believe you've nailed the apple cultivars! YES!!!! [​IMG]

Thank you as I was feeling like an idiot "Uhhh, I don't know what they are," but unfortunately the previous owners didn't leave a manual NOR did there seem to be a lot of rhyme, reason nor logic in some of the things they planted. I think she may have fancied herself a gardener by association, but the neighbors have been telling tales of stuff that went on. Oh, well!

I've also got a red delicious out front (EASY to identify) and I have two other apple trees in the back lot veggie compound, but they haven't put forth much fruit as my efforts last year and this were to save and salvage them as they apparently didn't get water for over a year and a half.... The place I bought here was vacant for that long and the mow-n-go gardener decided that to cut down on weeds he'd eliminate the water source to the back parcel. Arrrrgh....grrrrr...... The trees will survive, but fruiting wood was severely compromised this year. Hopefully next year we'll get some decent produce.

Again, thank you for helping identify the apples. Now I can complete the map of what's in the front yard. (I *know* all the cider trees as we planted them and platted them.)

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Mari or Marigold is an Easter Egger. If I had to guess the mix it would be a Buff Orpington x Blue aracauna. She's got a cute face we think with those big puff cheeks. Lays a gorgeous Caribbean blue egg. She is bit half nekkid on her back. Lol.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  7. Peep_Show

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Orps are so sweet. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    My jungle
    [​IMG]
    "Fruits" of the jungle
    [​IMG]
    And Marshmallow who looks a lot like Marigold ( great name by the way ) she lays olive coloured eggs

9. tarahtt

tarahtt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    SW Missouri
    I want to let my chickens free range in my garden now and then, but I have a lot of tomato plants. I know tomato plants are toxic. Will chickens leave them alone?

10. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

They'll eat the fruit, I know people who keep chickens in their green houses to take care of the slugs, the birds eat the tomatoes but less of them than the slugs. Don't know anyone who's lost a bird to tomato leaves though. Mine even ate a fox glove plant and where fine. The toxins in tomato plants block digestive enzymes in insects I don't know if it would have the same effect on chickens unless they ate a lot of the leaves. Plus if there's something better around like lettuce or kale or bugs they'll choose those instead. My ducks never touched the tomatoes just the squash leaves and borage, same with my bantam hen she never touched the tomato greens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by