Do you garden?

• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
I have a question about planting herbs. This is my first time planting them, and need some advice. My hubby made me a vertical box. One side I plan to plant strawberries and the other side for herbs. Can anyone tell me which ones to plant on bottom or top. Just for looks I mean I don't want to plant a tall growing one below a short and have the chance of something being covered . I hope I'm making sense. :/ I will try to add a pic if I can. That way y'all can see what I mean. I plan on planting oregano, mint, parsley , cilantro, chives, table onions, lavender , basil , dill, Rosemary , thyme.

I have a question about planting herbs. This is my first time planting them, and need some advice. My hubby made me a vertical box. One side I plan to plant strawberries and the other side for herbs. Can anyone tell me which ones to plant on bottom or top. Just for looks I mean I don't want to plant a tall growing one below a short and have the chance of something being covered . I hope I'm making sense.
hmm.png
I will try to add a pic if I can. That way y'all can see what I mean. I plan on planting oregano, mint, parsley , cilantro, chives, table onions, lavender , basil , dill, Rosemary , thyme.
hu.gif
I only have experience with parsley, rosemary and basil, parsley stays relatively short till the second year when it goes to seed and the flower stalk gets about 15'' tall, basil it depends on the type I guess, I've seen plants that range anywhere from 12 to about 24'' tall, it will stay shorter and be bushier if you pinch the growing tips. (If you do that it won't flower either)

For those of you who may be interested, if you start parsley in the fall and leave it out side all winter it does on fact go to seed.
Plant it once, never have to plant it again. It also successfully overwinters here in zone 4. Usually!

Quoting Hershy: I plan on planting oregano, mint, parsley , cilantro, chives, table onions, lavender , basil , dill, Rosemary , thyme.

You're going to have a bit of a challenge keeping those herbs small enough to do what you expect them to do, and you're going to have to do a lot of watering, but it will be beautiful! My recommendation: In progression from bottom up: mint, oregano, cilantro, dill, parsley, rosemary, onions, thyme. Depending on the variety, your dill and cilantro will vary in height. That will make a difference in placement. Also, sun lovers would do best at top.

Plant it once, never have to plant it again. It also successfully overwinters here in zone 4. Usually!

Quoting Hershy: I plan on planting oregano, mint, parsley , cilantro, chives, table onions, lavender , basil , dill, Rosemary , thyme.

You're going to have a bit of a challenge keeping those herbs small enough to do what you expect them to do, and you're going to have to do a lot of watering, but it will be beautiful! My recommendation: In progression from bottom up: mint, oregano, cilantro, dill, parsley, rosemary, onions, thyme. Depending on the variety, your dill and cilantro will vary in height. That will make a difference in placement. Also, sun lovers would do best at top.

Thats what I plan on doing, they were volunteers anyway, I was looking at where I had my parsley last year and there are several volunteers coming up there too
woot.gif

thumbsup.gif
x2

I have a question about planting herbs. This is my first time planting them, and need some advice. My hubby made me a vertical box. One side I plan to plant strawberries and the other side for herbs. Can anyone tell me which ones to plant on bottom or top. Just for looks I mean I don't want to plant a tall growing one below a short and have the chance of something being covered . I hope I'm making sense.
hmm.png
I will try to add a pic if I can. That way y'all can see what I mean. I plan on planting oregano, mint, parsley , cilantro, chives, table onions, lavender , basil , dill, Rosemary , thyme.
My mint grows super big,and I always have a huge bush of rosemary, lavender grows bigger with years, thyme stays low, onions are long too, oregano is a medium size , depends what kind of cilantro u want, but its almost like parsley - medium size and basil if you will cut it for tomato salads ect. it will stay on a medium size but it has tendency to grow big and bushy. Keep in mind that if you gonna pick them for culinary use they will stay on a smaller side.

Back
Top Bottom