Should BYC Have It's Own, Easy To Use Genetic Calculator?

• Yes, great idea!

Votes: 192 86.9%
  • No, waste of time...

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Yes, and I can offer help!

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Yes, but with some adjustments to the original post...

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters
I was wondering exactly how the calc would work? Would you pick two breeds and then get the outcomes? What base would we use for them?
We would probably have to use the base of the parents, because making one for each cross would be just about impossible.
So baisically, you's choose the parents and their colours, and then combine them to see the results. Or at least that would be the beginner one, the advanced one would probably need to allow the user to select individual genes and such.

I think the hard part (the one that could possibly stop this project before it starts) would be getting someone to program it.
Very true. Unfortunately I don't have any programmer friends, but if you know anyone on BYC then that'd be good. I've learned basic programming in my computer class, however I'm not very good. Fortunately there are alot of places now where you can make websites for free. Definately something to take into consideration though.

Wouldn’t it be easier to use a generic chicken template for the cock and hen and just have all the color varieties on the same template? You could always have a side bar saying that pea and rose combs are dominant to single combs and that feathered legs are recessive etc. :oops:
The Kippenjungle breed calculator does that. Probably easier.

EDT: Didn't finish typing sentence. "Probably easier to do that than to draw all combinations."

But thinking about it, if people know the genetics and breeds of their birds, they might be able to take pictures of the crosses they've got and link them to the stylised pictures. Wouldn't work with crosses of a cross, obviously, but for birds from two homozygous parents...

Wouldn’t it be easier to use a generic chicken template for the cock and hen and just have all the color varieties on the same template? You could always have a side bar saying that pea and rose combs are dominant to single combs and that feathered legs are recessive etc. :oops:

Maybe, although if the parents were frizzled or silkied then just a generic chicken probably wouldn't be all too helpful.

Also, of the silkies--nice pictures, but shouldn't you do both bearded and non-bearded?
Definitely had bearded chickens in mind.

I think a lot of people would like having that available here.
I could color digitally. Im not spectacular at knowing the different characteristics of chickens or replicating them in a drawing, but i could color however you want.
That'd be good, if you don't feel very confident then thats okay, you could probably do easier colours if you'd like. You can also feel free to put a good ref in the corner whilst you colour, as that'd make it easier. :)

Yep that would work.

At least i think it would in the coloring program i use i can make multiple layers. Each color set could be its own layer.

sumatra.jpeg

This is the best I can do as of now :)
It's a sumatra

Back
Top Bottom