Should BYC Have It's Own, Easy To Use Genetic Calculator?

• Yes, great idea!

Votes: 192 86.9%
  • No, waste of time...

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Yes, and I can offer help!

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Yes, but with some adjustments to the original post...

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters
Pics

strawberricatt

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 4, 2016
Recently I have been looking in to genetic calculators, however most of them have faulty English and are very old and confusing.I have seen a few threads suggesting that we need something like this, however they are mostly very old.The current calculators I've found are difficult to use, and very outdated. I think that BYC needs it's very own genetic calculator. However it will be a huge task, and it is just a suggestion, however I have done my best to make this experiment/project well fleshed out, and hopefully easy to act on.

What the calculator would need(Suggest anything I may be missing please, etc means I need way more suggestions):
-Comb types(rose,single,walnut,pea)
-Skin colour(black,white,yellow)
-Patterns(cuckoo, columbian, laced, etc)
-Colour(white,blue,buff,grey)
-Feather types(frizzle,smooth,silkie)
-Egg colour(green,pink,tan,white,brown,chocolate,blue)
-Earlobe Colour(white,red,blue)
-Number of toes(four,five)
-Feathered feet(yes or no?)
-Leg colour(green,blue,yellow,grey)

What the project needs:
-Artists/illustrators willing to work on potentially hundreds of images for each breed, colour, and possible offspring variants(I can help with this, as I am an artist and love to draw, although I most certainly can't do everything. So we'll need bases for each breed and feather type, I'll attempt to post bases if this is a go, and If you'd like to help, you can print them and colour them. Or colour them digitally)

-Genetics experts willing to come together to help create this generator, I have almost no knowledge on genetics, however there are so many knowledgeable people on BYC, so if you know about genetics, any help would be amazing.

-Coders, the people needed to put the generator/calculator together. They'll need to iron out bugs, and make sure it is clean and simple to use.

Other thoughts/ideas:
For ease of use there should be a way to choose a breed, and then a colour. However if the bird is an experimental colour or a cross breed there should be a way to choose body type, or breed baseline. There should also be a way to colour individual sections/feathers. Like this(Please note picture is not mine, and something like this wouldn't be the finished project EVER):
upload_2018-6-14_18-57-47.png

Any advice and help would be amazing, and it will truly take alot to make this project possible.
I will post bases when possible, but for the meantime any advice would be great, and if this project becomes reality that would be amazing!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...uge-task-ahead.1252593/page-107#post-20118502

Last edited by a moderator:
If this ever did happen, it eould be cool if you could switch between a simple and a more complex calculator.
Simple- just enter colors and all above it tge original post(for newbies/birds with unknown genes/etc)
Kinda like:
http://www.mechelsekoekoek.com/breedbook/?action=geneticscalculator
but different
Complex- enter each gene (for the more knowledgeable/known genetics/etc)
like:
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also, a way to keep crossing..
Ex: you mix A × B.. you take one of their offspring (C) and breed it to a newly generated bird (D) snd get E... and so on (back crossing/line breeding too)
(This will probably be too hard to do, though)

Last edited:
If this ever did happen, it eould be cool if you could switch between a simple and a more complex calculator.
Simple- just enter colors and all above it tge original post(for newbies/birds with unknown genes/etc)
Kinda like:
http://www.mechelsekoekoek.com/breedbook/?action=geneticscalculator
but different
Complex- enter each gene (for the more knowledgeable/known genetics/etc)
like:
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Good idea! Although the simple one is maybe a bit too simple, it would be better going off of breeds and then colour instead of just colour.

WHEW! Monumental task...
Horses "coat" color for foals have several, Peach faced lovebirds have one, Cockatiels, there are a myriad of combinations for those...30+ years experience with this. I'm new to chicken breeds, how those generally work seems to be similar -
Colors
Dominant, recessive, color modifier genes, diluted, splash, etc...
Feathering on legs/feet seems to be dominant.. I'm a quick study and would be very happy to help.
HOWEVER-
NEED A BETTER PROGRAMMER THAN I! There could be software for this!

Great idea but I'm afraid you're seriously seriously underestimating what would be involved.
I can't imagine being able to get it to a complete finished project.
The calculators out there are what they are because that's how complexed the genetics and out comes are.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom