1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

BYC Genetic/Breed Calculator Huge Task Ahead!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Feather Hearts, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Yes, great idea!

154 vote(s)
    86.0%
  2. No, waste of time...

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Yes, and I can offer help!

16 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Yes, but with some adjustments to the original post...

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Songster

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    Recently I have been looking in to genetic calculators, however most of them have faulty English and are very old and confusing.I have seen a few threads suggesting that we need something like this, however they are mostly very old.The current calculators I've found are difficult to use, and very outdated. I think that BYC needs it's very own genetic calculator. However it will be a huge task, and it is just a suggestion, however I have done my best to make this experiment/project well fleshed out, and hopefully easy to act on.

What the calculator would need(Suggest anything I may be missing please, etc means I need way more suggestions):
    -Comb types(rose,single,walnut,pea)
    -Skin colour(black,white,yellow)
    -Patterns(cuckoo, columbian, laced, etc)
    -Colour(white,blue,buff,grey)
    -Feather types(frizzle,smooth,silkie)
    -Egg colour(green,pink,tan,white,brown,chocolate,blue)
    -Earlobe Colour(white,red,blue)
    -Number of toes(four,five)
    -Feathered feet(yes or no?)
    -Leg colour(green,blue,yellow,grey)

What the project needs:
    -Artists/illustrators willing to work on potentially hundreds of images for each breed, colour, and possible offspring variants(I can help with this, as I am an artist and love to draw, although I most certainly can't do everything. So we'll need bases for each breed and feather type, I'll attempt to post bases if this is a go, and If you'd like to help, you can print them and colour them. Or colour them digitally)

-Genetics experts willing to come together to help create this generator, I have almost no knowledge on genetics, however there are so many knowledgeable people on BYC, so if you know about genetics, any help would be amazing.

-Coders, the people needed to put the generator/calculator together. They'll need to iron out bugs, and make sure it is clean and simple to use.

Other thoughts/ideas:
    For ease of use there should be a way to choose a breed, and then a colour. However if the bird is an experimental colour or a cross breed there should be a way to choose body type, or breed baseline. There should also be a way to colour individual sections/feathers. Like this(Please note picture is not mine, and something like this wouldn't be the finished project EVER):
    upload_2018-6-14_18-57-47.png

Any advice and help would be amazing, and it will truly take alot to make this project possible.
    I will post bases when possible, but for the meantime any advice would be great, and if this project becomes reality that would be amazing!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...uge-task-ahead.1252593/page-107#post-20118502

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2018
  2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

That's a great idea since most people buy the pure breed's, and then want to crossbreed them to get more colors (many thinking they are creating some new breed even by feather's or egg color).

3. LilJoe

LilJoe Crowing

Jul 15, 2016
    Missouri
    If this ever did happen, it eould be cool if you could switch between a simple and a more complex calculator.
    Simple- just enter colors and all above it tge original post(for newbies/birds with unknown genes/etc)
    Kinda like:
    http://www.mechelsekoekoek.com/breedbook/?action=geneticscalculator
    but different
    Complex- enter each gene (for the more knowledgeable/known genetics/etc)
    like:
    http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Also, a way to keep crossing..
    Ex: you mix A × B.. you take one of their offspring (C) and breed it to a newly generated bird (D) snd get E... and so on (back crossing/line breeding too)
    (This will probably be too hard to do, though)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  4. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Songster

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    Good idea! Although the simple one is maybe a bit too simple, it would be better going off of breeds and then colour instead of just colour.

5. LilJoe

LilJoe Crowing

Jul 15, 2016
    Missouri
    :thumbsup

6. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Crowing

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    I know a bit about genetics, and I MIGHT be able to color in a few outcomes. This sounds like a great idea!

Chick-N-Fun, Susan Dye, Dl88 and 7 others like this.
  7. AllWildAtHeart

AllWildAtHeart In the Brooder

Jan 31, 2018
    Kansas Flint Hills
    WHEW! Monumental task...
    Horses "coat" color for foals have several, Peach faced lovebirds have one, Cockatiels, there are a myriad of combinations for those...30+ years experience with this. I'm new to chicken breeds, how those generally work seems to be similar -
    Colors
    Dominant, recessive, color modifier genes, diluted, splash, etc...
    Feathering on legs/feet seems to be dominant.. I'm a quick study and would be very happy to help.
    HOWEVER-
    NEED A BETTER PROGRAMMER THAN I! There could be software for this!

8. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner wicked chickens lay deviled eggs Premium Member

Great idea but I'm afraid you're seriously seriously underestimating what would be involved.
    I can't imagine being able to get it to a complete finished project.
    The calculators out there are what they are because that's how complexed the genetics and out comes are.
    Good luck.

9. BlackHackle

BlackHackle Court Rooster Premium Member

This would be a great idea for beginners! More advanced crosses would generally need to be manually inserted in an advanced calculator

10. BlackHackle

BlackHackle Court Rooster Premium Member

I would love to supply the illustrations!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: