BYC KNITTING CLUB

Pics
On a side note. I'm using SHOE GOO under the slippers to provide some traction on hard floors. I'm not sure how long it will last, and it does seem to attract every dog or cat hair in the house - but its better than slipping around. The leather soles cost around $17 a pair and thats just a little much.
Shoe Goo was around $5 a walmart - its used to repair shoes normally.

I knit most of my socks on 2 circulars, one sock at a time. Working on both socks at the same time would require me to carry around 2 seperate balls of yarn and could get too bulky for my purse. But, I can understand why people suffering from SSS (Second Sock Syndrom) would want to give this a try!

Wildsky -- One year I made a pair of those slippers for every member of my family for Christmas. I was SOOOO sick of the pattern afterwards that it took me another year to get around to making a pair for myself! They are wonderfully warm, but do need to get thrown in the washer and shrunk back down every once in a while. As people wear them, they tend to get a bit bigger.

I did use the leather soles on the bottoms, but I've also heard of people using the puffy paint that is used to paint designs on sweatshirts and such. You can get it at any craft store. Also, I saw another type of slipper bottom recently at a yarn store in Michigan. They were cloth with non-skid stuff on them; they reminded me of the bottoms of the old fashioned footed PJs we wore when we were kids. If you can find those, they may work better for you and I'm sure are less expensive than the leather.

Oh! and I've heard of people using old purses purchased at second hand stores for the leather, too. Obviously, it would take a sharp knife and steady hand to cut up a purse to make slipper soles.

Linda,
I can totally understand the getting sick of that pattern - the two circulars at a time and all the counting is driving me crazy!
tongue.png

I've got some of that fabric for PJ bottom's - white with little white dots on it, It might look ODD on the bottom of a slipper - and I probably should have bought a color OTHER than white!
roll.png
I do have some leather pieces as well, I think it would be really difficult to sew on. It would have to be by hand, and I hate hand sewing. :| (I have some bunny fur as well, was going to sew slippers out of it, but so far its still just hanging around)

I LOVE slippers. I just LOVE warm cozy feet in winter.
big_smile.png

Quote:
No you do need two - you have to pick up stitches on the inside of the cuff - then hold it together with the other one and knit them together - so the cuff rolls and is closed. If that makes sense - I don't knit both left and right slipper at the same time - its both needles being used at the same time on one slipper.
th.gif
I guess I could just bind off and then whip stitch the cuff over and in.

Last edited:
Quote:
You know, I had never thought of that! I bet that will solve my problem.......you are a genius! Maybe I will have some Christmas gift after all! Many Thanks!
clap.gif

why didn't I think of that I have 2 different socks going but not a pair... thanks...

I don't know about Wildsky's slippers (Awesome, BTW!), but it is possible to knit almost any in-the-round pattern with one circular needle. You just need it to be fairly long- like 36in, minimum. I used to knit one inside the other, but then my sister showed me how to do them side by side- makes it so much easier to fix mistakes, and both socks turn out the same!

Back
Top Bottom