BYC KNITTING CLUB

I was looking at some baby blanket patterns online, and I'm curious. How do you know what this means?

Row 1: *P3, yif, sl 1, yib, K1, yif, sl 1, repeat from * to the end of the row
Row 2: *P3, K3, repeat from * to the end of the row
Row 3: *P3, K1, yif, sl 1, yib, K1, repeat from * to the end of the row
All I know is that P stands for purl, and K stands for knit. The rest just goes right over my head.
lol.png

Oh! Okay, that makes more sense. :lol: I suppose I'll have to find a chart or something that shows what all of that means, to help me remember.

Right now I'm working on a K2 P2 Ribbon stitch scarf. It's going pretty good. There were a few times that I accidentally knitting three, or purled three, so I had to slide the needle out and pull out a few rows, but it's fun learning a new stitch. It's a lot less challanging than I thought.

Oh! Okay, that makes more sense.
lol.png
I suppose I'll have to find a chart or something that shows what all of that means, to help me remember.

Right now I'm working on a K2 P2 Ribbon stitch scarf. It's going pretty good. There were a few times that I accidentally knitting three, or purled three, so I had to slide the needle out and pull out a few rows, but it's fun learning a new stitch. It's a lot less challanging than I thought.
Lol what a coincidence! I'm actually working on a k2 p2 scarf as well..but I'm not sure what you mean by ribbon stitch (I'm a newbie kinda, been off and on for a few years but still at the beginner stages)

Backing up to the pattern stitches with the slipped stitches, I wonder about the blanket that pattern would create. Just looking at what Mschickenmomma posted, it looks to me like it wouldn't give an equal sized border on the left and right sides of the fabric. I once made a dishcloth that was made with alternate rows of knit & purl (like stockinette stitch) with slips in between. The yarn in front vs yarn in back was critical in that cloth bcz it resulted in vertical stripes in the finished fabric. It was a nice flat, somewhat dense (for knit fabric) fabric, one of my fave dishcloths ever. That came from a book titled "Beautiful Hand Knitting" that I'd borrowed from my local Library. The book has since disappeared, which makes me very sad, as it was an excellent book for knitting instruction and I have been unable to locate it anywhere.

Lol what a coincidence! I'm actually working on a k2 p2 scarf as well..but I'm not sure what you mean by ribbon stitch (I'm a newbie kinda, been off and on for a few years but still at the beginner stages) 

I don't really know what a ribbon stitch is either. :/ That's just what the pattern was called that I followed on YouTube. I just went along with what the title said. Lol

I just found out about a really neat site from my cousin that I started using today, (I'm sure some of the knitters know about it already) but it's called ravelry.com.. Tons of patterns, lets you keep track of all of your projects, past and current with pictures, lets you write down all the details about your needles, yarn, how much etc, start and end dates of projects, friends that you can visit and see what you're all working on etc, I love it! I'd love to add anyone on here as well :)

Revelry is terrific.

Here is a link to knitting abbreviations. http://purplekittyyarns.com/info/knitting-pattern-abbreviations.html

There are lots of goodies on that site, including links to vintage patterns and conversions for discontinued yarns and the really old system of numbering hooks and needles. Just to warn y'all tho, every time I click a link in their site, I get the pop up window for some lower my bills junk place. Sorry about that.. If you can just get past that, there is good info there for knitters.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I have been working on a basket weave afghan *k10, p10* and have been having a hard time with increasingly loose stitches whenever I switch from knit to purl.. how do I tighten it up? I have tried working tighter and it hasn't helped any. I read to twist the first purl stitch and knit tbl when I reach the twisted stitch on the other side. Would I still twist following purl stitch after knitting the last stitch tbl?

I just found out about a really neat site from my cousin that I started using today, (I'm sure some of the knitters know about it already) but it's called ravelry.com.. Tons of patterns, lets you keep track of all of your projects, past and current with pictures, lets you write down all the details about your needles, yarn, how much etc, start and end dates of projects, friends that you can visit and see what you're all working on etc, I love it! I'd love to add anyone on here as well :)
Hi everyone I just found this forum - this is great. Yes, revelry is a wonderful website. I have many projects qued. I am currently wprking on a few baby blankets for friend's babies. However, my glasses broke today and can;t find my spare pair so I cant knit tonight. Iam workingfrim a chart so I really need to see.
A great website a friend of mine told me about the other day for those of you who are experienced and those of you who need inspiration- knit/lab - www.kieranfoley.com Really gorgeous stuff!! Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom