BYC KNITTING CLUB

Pics
I am intimidated... I knit, but you gals make me feel like I am a piker. Just beautiful photos of your work.

Will posts some photos as I upload. I can't follow patterns very well, so I make my own. Just finishing cotton cable knit hat for son. He does not like wool when he is working. Have designed runners cap for daughter.. she runs marathons and is tri-athelete. Her cap is double knit on first 4 inches using hightec poly yarn with soft wool, that keeps her ears warm. Above the ear warmer part I went to single hightec poly to wick heat and water from her head. She loves the cap... it keeps her warm and keeps moisture from building on the top of her head. She likes it so much she wears it all the time in the winter. Will post photo when I upload it.

Really enjoy knitting. Great Idea for BYC knitters. Hope you don't mind a guy joining.......

Currently on needles:

lace scarf for wife;
cotton work hat for son;
lace book marker for wife;
Felted visor cap for youngest son.... CO 168 st on #4 circular using two ply 100% wool;

Things I would like to make;

Socks, socks and more socks - need magic loop size needle and what type of yarn is best;
Felted handbags that look like canteens;
Sweaters - Have no idea how to do these;
Hoodie for niece - again no idea;

Things I have made:

20-30 different style street caps;
7' long college double wrap scarf knit long ways (color bands run long ways rather than across). Used 47" round;
Several wrestlers cap for training - extra thick and super breathable;
Feminine street cap for daughter with cables;
Runners cap - very breathable and warm;
Goucho felted hat - super warm;
Felted bags;
Several felted street caps for sons;
Fingerless gloves;
Fingerless gloves with partial finger;
Baby socks;
24"x18" double knit cotton pot holders using chinese weave;
Granny dish cloths;
Lace scarves for wife and daughter both in wool and cotton(switched between #13 and #7 every 6 rows) real pretty.

Thanks to those Gals that took time to teach me and there were many. I carried my knitting every where I could and always had a helping hand.

Great folks, those that knit.... Even better those that knit and keep chickens!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi Chauqg! I'm new here too but I'm sure you're welcome too! I'd love to see some of your pics.

Feathered fannies farm, your stuff is beautiful! I just found out today that a very close friend is going to have a baby and I'm all excited because this will be my first opportunity to knit baby things!
ya.gif
She'll probably drown in all the knitted goodness because I'm not her only friend who knits.

Here's a picture of my favorite hat I've knit. I've done several in this style and just altered the pattern to different Norwegian motifs as well. I love the earflaps on this one because they're double thickness and an ingenious design. You knit in short rows to shape them and it creates a beautiful flap. The pattern is from Hats On! by Charlene Schurch (I've made so many of her hats! Love them!)

50190_christmas_day_2009_007.jpg

Here is the same hat with a different motif:

50190_img_4343.jpg

I plan to sit out by my chickens this summer knitting and watching them!

Quote:
Heck yes!! That is how I started knitting. and I still do knit that way for some things, plus, my kids love to use those looms as well. There are some really fun looming books that teach cables, diamond stitch, and all sorts of other stitches. Nothing goes faster than a loom knitted hat. ;-D As a fun Humanitarian project, we did hats for the Humanitarian Center. They were fast, fun, and we got pretty creative with the colors. I have to say though, once I figured out how to use the actual knitting needles, it was a lot more relaxing, and,,, I hate to say it, but more addicting as well. lol ~ maybe you'll want to stick to the loom ~ A yarn stash is no small investment into OCD-ing and you have to find a place for it... ;-D I would hate to be called a pusher....;-D
~Red

Quote:
Welcome! I think it's neat that you knit and man enough to admit it. A lot of men won't. Does your wife knit also? You've made a lot of things. We look forward to seeing some of your work. Good Luck!

Quote:
I love those hats. I knit hats for my grandchildren to keep them warm in winter. Most of them live in NC or WA so it gets cold there.

Chauqg, I also think that its great that a man knits. Awesome!!!! I 've tried to talk my husband into trying all winter, but he wants to sew a quilt. He is always laid off work a few months in the winter due to the kind of work he does.So I told him this winter he was going to have to have a hobby or something, or else he was gonna drive me crazy!!
lol.png
He said he wanted to learn to sew and make a quilt top and he went as far as buying a good pair of scissors, but thats been about it. Winter is almost over here in WV, (hopefully), so I guess the sewing will have to wait until next year.
And I wanted to say NWChicks, the hats are terrific!!! You did a wonderful job on them.

On the needles now I have a chicken pillow I started last night. Had to finish up a few crochet doll outfits for Karismas baby doll. I was excited to start on the pillow. Will keep you updated on how its going. What is every one else working on.
My knitting may slow down after the next couple weeks. With 52 new chickies arriving I will be busy!!!
celebrate.gif

Tammy

NWChicks.... Your hats are beautiful.... They make me want to learn how to follow a pattern.. They are SOOOOO colorful and pretty. I know my three chillrens would all wear one of those on the slopes in winter. Maybe I'll have to learn how to make them and make three.. They dont seem complicated, but the color pattern is where I would have trouble reading and following - I get all mixed up. I stay with simple patterns that I make as I go - if I don't like them I frog and reuse the yarn (without telling anyone that is).

My wife knits, sometimes I finish her stuff if she is too busy' sometimes we work on the same items. She knit a scarf for me - before we were married 35 years ago. I tell people that my girl friend made this scarf for me and my wife just repaired it... I get the oddest looks until the realize the girlfriend and wife are the same person - then they realize the scarf is over 35 years old.

Feathered Fanny 52 birds... You will have your hands full for a while....

Thanks for the compliments on the hats. I love knitting colorwork and they are very simple. I use a metal board with magnet stips as a chart keeper so following the pattern isn't hard either. Just keep your magnet strip under the line you're working on and you'll always know where you're at. The patterns repeat in the row too so once you get your groove you breeze right through them. Plus I have KADD (Knitter's Attention Deficit Disorder) and like to do things that keep my brain involved. I like lacework for the same reason.
wink.png

I love this thread! I've been working on socks, one pair for DH, another for a good friend going through chemo. It's time for my pair, but now my hands are hurting too much to hold the needles
hmm.png
Soon I'll be back in the groove, though!

Back
Top Bottom