Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
We've had a few forum / category re-organizations over the past 18 months and I'm really impressed with how things have turned out.

In general, it is good idea to have a forum organized in a way where:

1) It is easy for everyone to find grouped information quickly and easy for members to know where their questions should be posted.

2) Even distribution of topics and posts is a way to know you're organizing things well. If one forum or category has a TON of posts and activity and another has very little, then maybe there need to be some changes made.

One of the best changes we made was to take a topic we had called "General" (which was on the top of the forum) and split it out and move the position.

Well, I think it is time for another adjustment. I usually have this discussion with just the staff, but we've got about 10,800 smart forum members (the rest of you know who you are
tongue.png
) that I'd like to get feedback from.

So, here's the dilemma: We're a bit lopsided with the section: "Me, My Chickens, My Family". This "forum" or section is too diverse and has too many posts, so start your brainstorming engines and help split it into 2 - 4 new sections.

Keep in mind:

1) The goal is equal distribution. If you come up with 2 new sections, they should get about equal number of topics each.

2) List what you would call the new sections and what would go in them. Also list the parent category if you think it shouldn't be in the "social" section.

Okay, get crackin!!!

Social Area

Me and My Chickens
Me and My Family

The BST

Swaps
For Sale
Wanted to buy

Move the future
All About The Ducks forum to the top of the forum, yes above "announcements". I mean really. Ducks Rule.

*No clue on the "Me, Fam, Chx", never thought much was wrong there-- but, as to the "BST" , I think it could use breaking into something like "BST: BIRDS" "BST: EGGS" and "BST: OTHER".

No clue about the BST, but I like terrielacy's idea for the categories:

Me and My Chickens
Me and My Family

Could also throw in another like:

Me and My Other Pets

That way all the other pets have a place next to the chickens since Me and My Family seems more like our 'human' family versus other pets. And who doesn't want obsess over Dogs as well
big_smile.png

I agree with Terrielacy we should have a me and my family, me and my chickens. In the future have a duck forum. Like title it ducks:species, raising, incubating. and possibly game birds like have another forum called gamebirds: species, incubating, raising, release or aviarys. seriously

What about something along the lines of 'current events and how we are dealing with it/planning for the future' ? I think many of us are looking at the state of the world today and trying to become more self sufficient because of it.

I like terrielacy's idea, but on the BST section, where would a person put the Giveaways? Would it go in with the sell items or would it need a group of it's own. I know that a lot of people give away extra roos.

Dorothy

Oh yeh. I like Sonia's idea. I say just a 'Current Events' would be a good idea. Then, we could discuss, like she said, stuff that is going on and have a specific place for it.

Back
Top Bottom