BYC Recognition Awards - Educator, Friend, Spirit, & Greeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone asked if there was a blacklist.
_-__-----
Hi I doubt byc has time for a blacklist with over 400,000 people on boards. from my perspective ,I think some of the things that go into a awarding a badge are the number of nominations ; the number of posts; quality of the posts; and helpfulness in the posts; the temperament shown in the posts.
Frankly, the depth and quality of information given. there's a lot of things that go into a badge . it's not just nominations .
Best,
Karen

Most likely not... they need time to sort through them all, make a list of qualified nominees, then those need to be approved by the rest of the Staff... they'll be posted when they finish...

Not to mention, take time to enjoy their own New Year's!
smiley confetti.gif

_-__-----
Hi I doubt byc has time for a blacklist with over 400,000 people on boards. from my perspective ,I think some of the things that go into a awarding a badge are the number of nominations ; the number of posts; quality of the posts; and helpfulness in the posts; the temperament shown in the posts.
Frankly, the depth and quality of information given. there's a lot of things that go into a badge . it's not just nominations .
Best,
Karen
Quite right. :goodpost:

A blacklist would be just too easy. "Oh, THAT member, No WAY" and into the circular file forever. The Staff here has been chosen carefully for their level-headedness and fairness and ability to rise above personal conflicts, just to name a few qualities.

No, each quarter, I do a first run and look at each and every member who is nominated no matter the history, no matter the issues that may have arisen in the past quarter, no matter anything. I look at post quality, any recent moderation issues, posting style and compare to the qualifications and criteria for each award. I look at other things too and only then I present the rough draft of nominees to the Staff to discuss.

This takes time, so in theory, a "blacklist" would save us all a ton of time, but that's not really the BYC Spirit, is it? :)

Quite right. :goodpost:

A blacklist would be just too easy. "Oh, THAT member, No WAY" and into the circular file forever. The Staff here has been chosen carefully for their level-headedness and fairness and ability to rise above personal conflicts, just to name a few qualities.

No, each quarter, I do a first run and look at each and every member who is nominated no matter the history, no matter the issues that may have arisen in the past quarter, no matter anything. I look at post quality, any recent moderation issues, posting style and compare to the qualifications and criteria for each award. I look at other things too and only then I present the rough draft of nominees to the Staff to discuss.

This takes time, so in theory, a "blacklist" would save us all a ton of time, but that's not really the BYC Spirit, is it? :)
Well put!!! Not good but excellent post!:goodpost:

_-__-----
Best,
Karen
It takes no additional time to black list. It is a mechanism where pool being selected is reduced immediately without consideration of variables given above. The ability of such to persist in areas like the government and Hollywood are that perpetrators and beneficiaries maintain a state of denial.

It would be nice graphically represent how the variables are weighted. I think results would indicate results are subjective at best. This has been my suspicion for years.

I have a reputation for being direct, no fluff, in getting to point. That is maintained here and in the 3-D world. I am the someone the suggested the blacklist. I will stand by my statements and apologize when it is appropriate.

My tongue has been held here for years, and it will resume for a few more. Be assured this promotes skepticism.

And although I told myself that I wouldn't get involved, I must ask with due respect, what would be the criteria for someone being placed on the "blacklist"? I'm not trying to be difficult - I'm just curious. Since the staff is already going over the names of the nominees carefully, checking for disciplinary action, content of his/her posts, and attitudes of the posters when they post before they make their selections, what else is there? I slip and get testy sometimes, you do, we all do at one point or another. Is that enough to be grounds to forever discard any nomination for that person going forward?

Yes, choosing a person for an award is subjective. By it's nature it has to be. So wouldn't it be just as subjective to have a "blacklist"? What about the person who has had issues in the past but who has modified their tone and post and content to better reflect the standards of behavior of BYC. Wouldn't a permanent blacklist take out any incentive for working on those issues?

I dunno....you raise a very interesting point. As for me, I have from time to time stuck my size 10 foot in my size 20 mouth. (It ain't always my fault - sometimes I've just washed my fingers and can't do a thing with them.) And although I'm not in this for the badges, I'd be a total liar if I said that recognition from others means nothing. These badges mean a lot to those who earned them - and I said earned, not won - and are a wonderful incentive to always try to do a little better. If I knew my name was on a permanent blacklist, what would be the point of trying to be more helpful and kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom