BYC SEWING/QUILTING CLUB

thumbsup.gif
Great job!

Hello all, I am not new to the chicken board, however I am to the quilting and sewing club. My husband just bought me a sewing machine last summer and I had no clue how to even thread it or wind a bobbin. Within a month I was on my way to making this quilt Now keep in mind it was my first quilt. Well the dumb dumb that I am my first quilt was queen size. It turned out fair. I did it pillow case style instead of trying binding. I also tied it. It was quit the experience. This was done on a cheap little singer simple as was the others to come. My next quilt was this baby quilt made with all flannel even the backing. Again it was done pillow case style and tied. My third quilt was bluejean and flannel. My mother inlaw gave me flannels that was her mom, dad, and husbands and they are all deceased. The blue jeans were hers. I used solid blue flannel for the back. This quilt I tried my hand at binding and it came out fair. I was quit happy with it. I did tie this quilt. It is very heavy. Now I am making a fourth quilt and it is going to be my summer quilt. I am going to use just a sheet blanket on the inside. It is very colorful. I will post another pic when I get further along. Here it is now . My husband did get me a new machine in February for my anniversary. It is a closeout model so he got a pretty good deal. It is the Janome QC Marie Osmand. I absolutely love it. It even does embroidery small but good for making labels for quilts. Well hope you all enjoy your day. Happy sewing and quilting.

Quote:
If I'm thinking right you do it like this.

Lay your batting.

Lay your backing--Right side up

Lay your top---Right side down on the right side of the backing.

Sew all the way around except for about maybe 10inches along one side.

Reach in the hole between the backing and top and pull inside right.

Flatten it back out, and quilt the way you choose.

Been working on this in the mist of my usual chaos.

Whatcha think?

vet.jpg

I'm making 2 of them. They are the same except the dog and cat are opposite colors. They are for my vets who have been wonderful to us.

ETA---it's suppose to have eyes and mouth but i'm thinking it looks good without adding that.

Last edited:
Yall are doing such a good job on your quilts. I can't say the same. I am working on a quilt kit that my daughter has had for several years and gave too me not long ago. It is going great BUT now the pieces to another quilt that my foster daughter in law cut out some and told me to sew up are not square. Supposed too be 12" squares and they are but they are not square and some of the blocks are smaller than the others. Of course I am probably the only one that notices that but some of them blocks are just way off so before I sew the others she left here for me, I am gonna figure out how too square the pieces up before sewing them together.

Alright ladies and gentlemen (if there are any on here).. I need your help...

Just got a used NewHome Memory Craft 7500 sewing machine and am a NEWBIE.. I am talkin GREEN... WET behind the ears.. ok.. you get the picture...

Ok.. my 11yo daughter and I think those yo yo quilts are so cute so I got online and found out how to do it and in the process found the dirctions for these hexagons that I really like the look of. But I think you need a button or something in the middle.. and with 600 buttons, it would be heavy and not very cozy, if you know what I mean. Is there something else we could put in the middle? Not sure if you can sew on those little fuzzballs or if they are washable.

4241_201_0199.jpg

The flat hexagons just don't feel very... substantial.. if you know what I mean... Is it even worth all the money to just have double layers of cotton? Is there anyway to make it thicker??

Has anyone ever made a yoyo quilt??? Just looking for arrangement ideas.

Sorry if this is all way beneath your abilities!
lol.png
I sure appreciate the help though!!

4241_201_0200.jpg

woot.gif
Joann's is having a BIG sale! 50% off cottons. I got half yard of all these fabrics plus 4 yards of white calico plus,4 packs of buttons,and thread for $65.00 plus someone walked up and gave us a 20% coupon including sale items. I feel like I have die and gone heaven! This quilting bug is as addicting as chickens
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom