BYC's 13th Annual New Year's Day Hatch-Along - 2022

Pics
Last edited:
This is my pile...(not all will be chosen.)
bilb.PNG

I have saved up a large pile of eggs for this hatch along. .. now I'm not going to be able to fit them all in....

Eggs available to set
Leghorn (blue black and cuckoo colours)
Cochin bantams (blue, blue mottled)
Cochin bantams (cuckoo)
Old English Game

What to set.... is the question
Nice!

I hope you have a good hatch.

I currently have eggs hatching day 21 on the 9th. Then I have to clean incubator, heat up the new years eggs, then putting them in on the 10th. I hope I don't have stragglers hatch wise... currently looking at 2 doz. to put in for New years. I may add any extras on setting day. I will say # so you all know. I am going to heat them up in one incubator, then transfer them to the main incubator that also has eggs in there for the 21. I do not add cold eggs in with developing eggs.

I’ve had 3 eggs in the past 3 weeks. 😥
I had a broody hen sitting on non-fertile eggs for almost a month and I finally put a couple newly hatched chicks under her. I think they are about a month old now. All the rest were molting at the same time. After about 3 weeks of no eggs, I finally got one every other day or so. Then yesterday after a few days of not checking, I apparently have a new layer because the 3 eggs that were in there were darker than previous eggs. The problem is that we had a couple nights below freezing. I may still set them Saturday and any that come by then. So I may be in this after all.
I had not planned on joining this HAL because I wanted to dismantle, clean and refurbish all my incubators this winter before I set again. I don't think I can get that done by Saturday. My best friend I've ever had in my life died last week. She has no family here so virtually everything that has to be done has fallen on me from placing her animals to identifying the body.

Last edited:
I had a broody hen sitting on non-fertile eggs for almost a month and I finally put a couple newly hatched chicks under her. I think they are about a month old now. All the rest were molting at the same time. After about 3 weeks of no eggs, I finally got one every other day or so. Then yesterday after a few days of not checking, I apparently have a new layer because the 3 eggs that were in there were darker than previous eggs. The problem is that we had a couple nights below freezing. I may still set them Saturday and any that come by then. So I may be in this after all.
I had not planned on joining this HAL because I wanted to dismantle, clean and refurbish all my incubators this winter before I set again. I don't think I can get that done by Saturday. My best friend I've ever had in my life died last week. She has no family here so virtually everything that has to be done has fallen on me from placing her animals to identifying the body.

Good to hear from you CC. Sorry about your friend, incubating will help keep you busy.
All my hens started molting same time as well. I do have 12 hens that are 6 months old so should be trying soon. Although light is an issue I was hoping being at pol might help.
The Halloween hal 36 chicks are growing up fast. With huge appetites.

Can I join this hatch with Coturnix Quail eggs? my first incubation AND my first try with quail! set them on December 14th to join?
(I am located in MD- if anyone knows a great place to get some different colored quail eggs please let me know! looking for pearl, tuxedo, english white, etc... basically anything but brown wild.)

Update: ordered my eggs! (myshire farm)

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss, what a great friend you are!

Back
Top Bottom