Bye bye roo…

I thought it might be interesting for some to read an update on my newly roosterless flock. Just as I had hoped, the flock has calmed down a lot. It is such a relief. I used to hear screams and squabbles and have hens run in and out of the coop while cleaning the poop boards and waterers in the morning - now: blissful peace. Rarely a squawk, no chasing. And also, like I had hoped, without a rooster constantly “telling” my hens that I was dangerous and punishing them for getting close to me, now my hens are completely at ease around me. I just found out that that has its downside, too, when I tried to shoo them into their coop a few minutes earlier than their bedtime :) I actually had to pick them up one by one and put them in, and they’d still come out again… Ha! Before I could just gently wave my arms near the ground and they would scoot.
Well I much prefer it this way! Hopefully one of the hens will step up and help our dog with the hawk watch - that is the only good reason I can now think of for having a rooster. But I have high hopes for my new Bielefelder pullets, they seem very sky/predator aware. We’ll see.
This sounds like a great update! how encouraging. ♥️

plan on getting a new ro if so what breed
Are you asking me? (Like I tell my kids when they text me sometimes: I need more words and more punctuation! 😂)
Not planning on a new roo, though I will probably get at least one or two next spring, when I order Marraduna Basques from Greenfire, because they only sell straight run. I miiiight keep one if he’s simply marvelous, but I am not keen on it. I like seeing my hens with nice feathers on their backs.

Another update - my six year old Welsumer hen has started crowing! Well she’s doing her best, at least. Sounds a bit more like a rusty pigeon… Wish I could post a video of her. She does it when first coming out of the coop; jumps on the outside roost and shakes her head a few times, then pumps herself up, flapping her wings and starts shouting. Hilarious!

Another update - my six year old Welsumer hen has started crowing! Well she’s doing her best, at least. Sounds a bit more like a rusty pigeon… Wish I could post a video of her. She does it when first coming out of the coop; jumps on the outside roost and shakes her head a few times, then pumps herself up, flapping her wings and starts shouting. Hilarious!
You must record and put on you tube and link here. 😆😂

Back
Top Bottom