Cabinet Styled Styrofoam Incubator?

How do you adjust Humidity? I heard eggs need around 60% level until "lockdown" then increase to 80% level? At the moment I got 3 small open containers each with a sponge inside and soaked in water?.. My guess is to try and see if I get to 80% and then adjust Air Vent to back off level down to 60% ? is that how it's normally done, cause I heard some people don't even bother with humidity? anyway I'd appreciate anyone's Tips & success stories, cheers! ... oh noooooooo the post is dyinggg..
hmm.png

Quote:
actually I suck as a carpenter I am more of a wood butcher I will post a coupla piccys but you r going to be sorry
smile.png
your eyes will hurt afterwards LOL I was wondering if winter had hit there yet I always forget to ask LOL never get old mate
smile.png

It's Freezinggg 5 deg C @ night... brrrrr, but it aint snowed in Melbourne in 150yrs!
lol.png
so who am I to complain...
old.gif
Well my incubator's been on 24hours & Max Humidity is 40% No Vents Open... What went wrong? And some Trivia? ..you know Queensland, Australia (Tropical) 90% of Migrating Residents come from? Victoria (Southern State, Melbourne etc) I must be one of the DUMB 10%
barnie.gif
And now Ladies and Gentlemen for my next Trick? I'm going to build an Incubator to Put me in it!!
lau.gif

Hey Aprophet I welcome your pics, doesn't matter what shape colour or form as long as it works then your a few leaps ahead of me till I get some humidity... maybe I'll just go with the 40%? Cheers mate

p.s. I "Must" be chicken obsessed cause I haven't even put eggs in bator and now I'm building my little brooder! jesUSSS~~
wee.gif
frow.gif

Aprophet, can't wait to see those pics!

Brim, meant to reply last night, but moshed a bit too hard at a concert, and instead crashed as soon as I got in the door. XD. Aand, now I'm not home, but I'll get to this tonight, scout's promise. Got a simple peanut butter jar auto watered I've been trying out to keep the water levels up during hatching, and the bator closed. Live in a super dry climate, like you, and couldn't get past 46 long term on the last test, so I'll have to add another. The jar acts as a nice sink sink as well, but as we both found out, you have to add hot water and run the bator a while for the temp to catch up to the added water.

Anything that puts steam or mist up in the air is a bigger humidity boost though. That's why AHS's water heater would work so well, and why a lot of people hook up reptile foggers or people humidifiers. Hope to do that myself at a later stage. But for now, hopefully some chunky SKIPPY PB and a misting squirt bottle in the bator will get me by!

Hey Punk-a-doodle "Moshpit" girl huh?
lol.png
darn I'm way too old for that stuff 'man O man'
old.gif
I'd go for 12yr scotch, a rocking chair and some japanese strippers!
woot.gif
..hey!! wait a minute come to think of it, I never even been to Opera...
hit.gif

But seriously! Ahmm... I gotta get my humidity in bator much higher... I struggle to get 50%
rant.gif
and I don't really want to run another volt of power to some humidifier, Just a sponge with a water supply... Today I'll go and buy a Large Carwash Sponge and cut shapes on top... (for more Surface?) cause I got limited space... Also worked out a way not to open incubator to add water to sponge!
pop.gif
it's called plastic Fishtank Airline..
yippiechickie.gif
Also today I'll order some eggs for pick-up tommorrow.. yippee about 30?! So whether 40,50 or 80% I'm going for it... took me a month of mucking around to get this far! Wish me good luck..

ps. Aprophet we want to see your fang dang contraption pics... (bator!) I need some inspiration... thx Have fun everybody... cheers
caf.gif
frow.gif

Huh, my computer has randomly stopped recognizing the USB ports. Awesome. Well, no photos from me til I figure that out. But, this is essentially the same thing as the very simple Peanut Butter jar waterer I'm using:
http://anoutdoorlife.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/homemade-chicken-drinke/
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2011/03/homemade-chick-waterers.html Same idea. Some people poke holes on the bottom of the container, I chose the side. Actually, the same idea is used here too:
http://www.geekologie.com/2007/03/impossible-fish-tank.php Which is really awesome, but goes to show that so long as your water storage container of choice is air tight, it'll hold.
You can use anything that you can poke a hole in, like a water bottle. I poke two holes in the side of the container, just below the rim level of the shallow dish I'm using to hold water. Fill up the dish with water and a sponge, then, plugging the holes you made with a finger, fill up the jar with water. Make sure the lid is on tight, then place the jar in the water and uncover the holes. When the water level reaches the hole/holes, no more water comes out. When the water level is below hole level, water exits the jar until they are even again. I chose this over making a hole for a tube to syringe water into the incubator, because I don't want to have to constantly be syringing in water, I have a shallow dish that I want to keep at an even level so I don't accidentally flood the thing, and, I can just see me making a complete mess syringing water all over the place. XD Running another humidity trial tonight since I made a second jar waterer, and will be testing whether or not the jar lasts a full incubation cycle. If not...I'll need a bigger jar.
big_smile.png

Hey Punk-a-doodle "Moshpit" girl huh? lol darn I'm way too old for that stuff 'man O man' old I'd go for 12yr scotch, a rocking chair and some japanese strippers! woot ..hey!! wait a minute come to think of it, I never even been to Opera... hit

But seriously! Ahmm... I gotta get my humidity in bator much higher... I struggle to get 50% rant and I don't really want to run another volt of power to some humidifier, Just a sponge with a water supply... Today I'll go and buy a Large Carwash Sponge and cut shapes on top... (for more Surface?) cause I got limited space... Also worked out a way not to open incubator to add water to sponge! pop it's called plastic Fishtank Airline.. yippiechickie Also today I'll order some eggs for pick-up tommorrow.. yippee about 30?! So whether 40,50 or 80% I'm going for it... took me a month of mucking around to get this far! Wish me good luck..

ps. Aprophet we want to see your fang dang contraption pics... (bator!) I need some inspiration... thx Have fun everybody... cheers caf frow

Haha, you beat me to the posting punch. My husband's mom is an inspiration to me. Frail, cute little thing past middle age, and she went to a Primus concert with us in sandles! The guys just loved her and were piggy backing her up to the front, and her reaction to the whole thing was, "such nice young people here, so polite". <3 You definitely won't see me pass up a rocking chair either though!

I've been using a car sponge too, and I'm finding it's not soaking up the water very well. I wonder how well it is letting it evaporate? I might try a bunched up paper towel with lots of folds, or a cut kitchen sponge. I really like your idea of cutting in shapes to give it more surface area!

Let me know how your humidity run goes...and the eggs! So exciting! Definitely, definitely post cute little chick photos on here.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom