Cabinet Styled Styrofoam Incubator?

Oh my gosh Brim, paper towels are where it's at. I added four wadded up towels to my pan of water for the trial last night. My humidity shot up to 80%!

Wow Punk! good find out! I found out something too! I originally had 60% of bator Floor space in Sponges (laid flat in containers of water) Only got 50% Humidity Max!! So did a Trial... Bought some dish sponges...(around 5-6) Cut Half of sponges half-way down middle!
hmm.png
..then Layered them ALL Vertical like Long, short then Long, short etc etc... inside small container... (so there is an Air gap halfway between full size sponges!!) And?
roll.png
"hey Presto" in no time getting 95% Easily!!... Sorry I was "HELLBENT" on proving the Sponges Right!
lol.png
I connected a small plastic tube to Top-up without opening Lid, but if I open Lid for a few seconds I only lose about 10%... I hope it makes sense... but the container is not even 20% Floorspace now! I'm stoked... I'll put a pic up tommorrow, I'm sure the Paper Towels are just as efficient but I hope you find a way to top it up without opening door?? I was thinking of Fishtank Airpump bubbler into Tray of Water, I'm sure that will work too!! but I don't want another 240Volt appliance running... Well Punk-a-doodle looks like your ready for a batch same as me!! I arranged to buy some eggs mid next week... Let me know your start date k
D.gif

Hey brim, that sponge idea is awesome! Whenever I go shopping next, I'm gonna give it a whirl. Just found out it'll be about a month before I can order eggs.
hit.gif
Trying to look at it in a positive light though...more time to perfect bator.
big_smile.png
. We'll have to do a hatch-a-long when we are both up and running though! I've started a 16 day dry run to make sure everything will hold steady. Let's hope all goes well with that. More importantly though...YOU'RE GETTING EGGS!!! That is so awesome!!! Can't wait to hear all about it.
thumbsup.gif

Try this design!! "Works" brilliantly, I'm not 100% about TYPE of Sponge, but I'm guessing Car wash Sponges are'nt as absorbant!? You'd have much more space than me! so you can afford larger design... set of 10 sponges cost me $3 aud!
big_smile.png

At least in US you can get many many diff types of quail... maybe more than 20+ breeds, but in Australia maybe only 10? Because quarantine laws too strict... my friend told me he was going to import some quail species from states, but would have to stay in Govt. quarantine for over 1 year and would cost over 10,000aud for a pair of birds! shock me shock me!
rant.gif

Well I'm wishing you success with your Trial, hope it goes well... I should do the same for 5 or so days but I can't wait... I'll definately let you know setting date next week... woohoo
woot.gif

Here's some pics as a guide, just try something similar and you'll find good results.. p.s. it is placed under my fan which I think helps so maybe not far from the fan is good too!!

cheers...
frow.gif

85466_imgp4449.jpg

85466_imgp4452.jpg

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Yeah I do realise... I can quickly adjust with Vent Holes, I think it might be useful if I have to open bator during process etc... thanks I think I'll need around 65-70% for Jap quail?

Haha, thankfully, yes. We both live in very dry climates, so it is much, much easier to lower than raise it! I can't even leave a carrot out in the house, as it shrivels up.

Depends who you ask, your climate, and altitude from what I hear, but quaillady is who I'm going by. 50-60%, lower than some, but I figure she knows what she's doing judging by her gorgeous birds! Course, that was for buttons/blue breasted. Not sure about the coturnix.

And thanks for sponge pics! It may be hardest for me to find affordable kitchen sponges. They are always really overpriced here. XP. I think I might cut triangles into the top edge so I can use fewer sponges. Wonder if I could set up an automatic drip into those? Yeah, I find right by the fan, and below the bulb to be best too. Also, if I keep it in my top compartment, my windows don't fog up at all. I know you put in an aluminum 'wall', so maybe that will help with your window fogging? Ah, I can't wait to see your babies! I have quail envy. Though, you're definitely right about your laws being tougher so species are limited. I get why though, especially with that whole rabbit invasion thing..!
bun.gif

OK Ms Punk here are a coupla piccys of the ugliest incys ever
smile.png

this is the first one I built it is small slightly larger then 1 foot square

the next one I built larger but not large enough for an auto turner
he.gif
he.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
which is why I started building a cabinet

Back
Top Bottom