cage bottom for broody hen

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi All - I am having a tougher time than usual breaking my broody hen. Usually the cool water bath does the trick but with temps in the 40s I won't do that. So....for the first time, I have to try the wire-bottom cage. Here is my question. How is that not cruel - doesn't it hurt their feet to walk around on a dog crate that has no solid bottom - won't their feet get stuck in the bottom if I elevate it?

I once had a broody hen that I put in an old rabbit hutch. It didn't have a floor, so she was on the grass. It worked fine. But that's just my experience. Maybe it's different if the cage is on a floor, not grass...

How is that not cruel - doesn't it hurt their feet to walk around on a dog crate that has no solid bottom - won't their feet get stuck in the bottom if I elevate it?
I've never had any of those issues with 1/2" hardware cloth as a floor. It is purely your decision. If you consider that to be cruel then don't try it.

I’ve always used the dog cage purchased for my golden retriever.
The girls who are put in “the slammer” manage fine. They have two cage bowls screwed to the side one for food and the other for water. The dog cage is elevated on four terracotta plant pots. The air circulates around her to help cool her. If it is exceptionally hot I move it all to my covered terrace with a low fan a distance away to keep cool air moving around her.
If it is cool at night I cover her with a large cover.
If caught early I can break the inclination to be broody in 3 days.
It’s not as cruel as leaving her in the nesting box for weeks and having it spread throughout the flock. In my opinion 😊
Hope this helps
Hugz

I actually don't elevate (I put it right on the run floor), but I've never had a broody refuse to break either.

One idea is to get sheets of plastic embroidery/needlepoint mesh to form a "floor" that still allows air to flow through, I used to do that for the wire landings in my rat cage to protect their feet.

I use 1x2" mesh on the bottoms of my broody breakers.
I put a length of 2x4 wood on the floor to relieve mesh stress.
Tho I have had one bird try to 'brood' on that board so I removed it, that never caused any injury. The idea is to make them uncomfortable so they don't settle down to heat their bellies.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/
1711631573653.png

Good point.

But @Loving my girls how big is the mesh on the bottom of the cage?
It’s not really mesh as it’s a cage, they can crouch but not get comfy enough to brood. Like this picture but I take out the removable base and put it underneath to collect poops and keep it clean easily.
It’s the same on the bottom as all over the rest. My hens are medium breed and can grip it, just.

Attachments

• IMG_3631.jpeg
    IMG_3631.jpeg
    742.6 KB · Views: 0
It’s not really mesh as it’s a cage, they can crouch but not get comfy enough to brood. Like this picture but I take out the removable base and put it underneath to collect poops and keep it clean easily.
It’s the same on the bottom as all over the rest. My hens are medium breed and can grip it, just.
Usually under the tray are very large openings(6-8") between the tray support wires. That's why I had to add the 1x2" mesh.

Back
Top Bottom