Calcium/magnesium ok

Is it OK to give calcium with magnesium to an egg bound pullet?
Before today when you noticed that she wasn't feeling well...
What have you been feeding your flock?
How old is the bird and when was the last time you brought a new to you bird home?

How old is the bird and when was the last time you brought a new to you bird home?
I just noticed this afternoon that she was not right. Even this morning she was fine. They get nutrena featherfixer and free choice oyster shells. Also veg scraps occasionally. Scratch grains in small amounts and mixed with meal worms. Our predators are very aggressive, so no free range, but tgey have a good size coop, run and clean, dry dust bath. Wormed in October

Offer some fluids often, and watery feed plus egg can be good. Glad she is relaxed. Can you insert a clean finger into the vent to feel for an egg? Does she normally lay eggs? What color is the poop?

I just noticed this afternoon that she was not right. Even this morning she was fine. They get nutrena featherfixer and free choice oyster shells. Also veg scraps occasionally. Scratch grains in small amounts and mixed with meal worms. Our predators are very aggressive, so no free range, but tgey have a good size coop, run and clean, dry dust bath. Wormed in October
Scraps, scratch and mealworms...all take away from getting a balanced diet.
Not getting a balanced diet causes problems.

Scratch and meal worms are high in fat. Both can cause a bird to become overweight.

A bird being overweight is not something that a regular person would notice just by looking at a bird. It is such a small amount and we can't see it.

Overweightness alone/ in itself causes reproductive disorders.

Offer some fluids often, and watery feed plus egg can be good. Glad she is relaxed. Can you insert a clean finger into the vent to feel for an egg? Does she normally lay eggs? What color is the poop?
I gave her an egg and she ate it all. Also gave her water, but she ignored it. She lives in a pen with 2 other pullets and I've gotten 1 to 2 edges per day starting last week, so if she's laying, she just started. Should I add acv to her water?

Scraps, scratch and mealworms...all take away from getting a balanced diet.
Not getting a balanced diet causes problems.

Scratch and meal worms are high in fat. Both can cause a bird to become overweight.

A bird being overweight is not something that a regular person would notice just by looking at a bird. It is such a small amount and we can't see it.

Overweightness alone/ in itself causes reproductive disorders.
Ok. She's an English Orp, so extremely fluffy. How do I check for overweight?

Also, no new birds since before she was hatched

Back
Top Bottom