Calico Cochin Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KDailey, Sep 14, 2011.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I don't have a pen of calicos going right now. I have my MF Frizzle roo in with everything that looked Calico.
    I am watching some new roos growing up and hope to have a breeding pen of nice calicos next spring. All I have are MFs in breeding.

2. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    i only have 2 pens of cochins right now, black/self blue and my calico/mille fleurs. the hens in that pen are actually blue partridge, but i have yet to get a partridge from them. and the chicks are less than a week old, so it'll be a bit before i take the chicks away and put the roo back in. maybe a month or so.

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Well I have finally gotten rid of all the extra random chickens I had hanging around taking up space and eatin feed. Yay!

So I have now been able to to seperate my cochins by color.

Pen #1: 2 Mille Fleur Roosters, 1 Calico hen, 1 Mille Fleur hen, 1 too dark mille fleur hen, 1 black mottled hen, 1 dark brown hen w/gold penciling (?) on breast

Pen #2: 1 splash rooster, 1 splash hen, 1 black hen. (I have one more splash hen but she's sick)

I also have a barred rooster that isn't correctly colored but is way to pretty to get rid of. I plan on making a barred cochin pen as soon as my only two little pullets are older.

So I should be getting more Mille Fleur/Calico babies soon <3

4. wildwoodcochins

wildwoodcochins Chillin' With My Peeps

All I can say is...[​IMG] Just precious~

5. Elinor's chicks

Elinor's chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Lexington KY
    The two Calico girls of Monet's that I bought from you this Spring sure have plenty of foot feathers - and type to burn - although I'm no expert. Both Jasmine and Nigella - the self-blue - started laying at 6 months - two full months earlier than the previous pullet I got from you, and they are laying like clockwork. The second calico had a stroke (I'm pretty sure) and could not move one leg, stand, or walk for about two months. She was determined to get better though, and is now back to nearly perfect. I'm SO glad she made it!! Seraphina is the sweetest of the three, and so pretty. She hasn't laid any eggs, and after her setback, she might not ever, but she - and all of the three - are wonderful pets. I'll try to get some photos to let you see what they look like all grown up.

6. wildwoodcochins

wildwoodcochins Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't wait to see pictures~ I'm so happy they are with you Deb~
    Everyone in the Calico pen is molting right now so no eggs. Concentrating on developing my lemon blues and brown reds and someone in the mottled pen is starting back up again, can we say HatchOholic??? lol

7. Angeleggster

Angeleggster Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Magnetic Springs, OH
    Anyone from Ohio near Marysville? Daughter lost her precious calico to a hawk. Was her best friend and 4-H project. She was crushed!! Such a sweet girl our little Fluff Nugget. Would like to find another soon. Thanks

8. Chooklet

Chooklet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Orinda
    Oh no, so sorry to hear that [​IMG] I am too far - out in California - but hopefully someone closer can help to find a new little friend for your daughter.

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    FunkyFeathers is in PA but I am not sure she has anything left but roosters to sell. She may be your closest person.

10. County Boy

County Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2012
    Petersburg Ny
    Would love to see Picasso and Angelo now. How have they matured?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by