Calico Princesses

The calico princess is a chzech project breed. they sell parent stock to hatcheries. TSC gets their birds from Hoover's, you can read about the calico princess there. I didn't have that breed, but other chzech breeds, and got eggs starting at 18 weeks! I think yours are the D459 dominant red barred hybrid project, for use in pakistan, bangladesh, ukraine, poland and slovakia ((I'm sure they'll do fine whereever you live too though). enjoy the birds!

ETA:
https://dejejvistas.lv/en/portfolio/dominant-red-barred-d-459/
is a link to info about what I'm sure are the calico princess, so they appear to be sexable by their color.
I’ll give this a read later, thank you!! The sign said all females so let’s hope that’s the case! Sex links are so helpful though, it’s amazing how people can do that with breeding.

Omg then why are ppl still breeding these?? Man I’m already attached to these two... but if this is the case then I just need to enjoy every second with them. And how did tractor supply think that these were golden comets 😳 if these chicks turn out to be roosters too then I’m not buying chicks from them anymore. 😪

They breed them for meat production, the quicker they grow, the quicker they end up in the freezer. They're not really intended to be keepers. 😔 We don't have chick days here, they way the states do, no picking from bins for us, but from my understanding, TSC employees don't have the best track record for keeping their bins labeled right or handing out the proper breeds. :confused:

Omg then why are ppl still breeding these?? Man I’m already attached to these two... but if this is the case then I just need to enjoy every second with them. And how did tractor supply think that these were golden comets 😳 if these chicks turn out to be roosters too then I’m not buying chicks from them anymore. 😪

They're meat birds. You eat them usually before those symptoms get lethal

The white one is a CX. They often don’t make it past slaughter age. Heart failure, lameness, bone issues...I could go on.
However if taken care of in a certain manner, they can live quite a while. I have a meat hen that we bought from stock with the intentions of slaughtering but out of the ten we bought, only two made it due to predators. Only one died due to health issues. The rooster that survived was killed by my goat a few months ago. I guess he just got on her nerves one day. However the hen is still alive and quite well save for the missing feathers on her back. Since she is free ranged she gets good exercise and can still fly into elevated nests that the other hens made. She’s over a year old now and still going strong. But not the best breed for beginners since they can be high maintenance when kept in a run as we learned the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom