1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calif. N.Central Valley/Foothills

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by kfchickenlady, May 1, 2011.

1. Kate McKae

Kate McKae Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Hi everybody:) I'm looking for info on the chicken processing place I think it's in Manteca does anybody know? Thanks

2. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Quote:Welcome,
    You must live in town if you can't have your beloved cockerel. Too bad..... I have sold hatching eggs to severel "in town" people & had them bring back cockerels when they got big enough to crow. Maybe your local 4H Poultry group has a place to re home your little guy. That's where the last rehomed cockerel I took in went. The 2 boys he went too love him.
    Karen in Turlock

3. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Quote:Hi Kate,
    Wolf tracks on the Bay Area thread is the one that mentioned the processor in Manteca. I tried to look it up for you in the phone book but didn't find it.
    Our Exchequers are supposed to be here this morning.

4. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Disaster at the P.O............................. Almost all the chicks that arrived yesterday were dead. I think I will stick to my "iffy" hatching of shipped eggs for a while longer. I took pictures & tried calling the seller. Their voice mail was full & not accepting calls so I emailed them & am waiting for a response. Back to the auctions to get what I want I guess.

I ordered wing band ID tags & am going to give them a shot. It is too hard keeping up with changing all the zip ties on these little guys & I missed one & really hurt one little girl & feel bad. I will zip tie them out of the incubator & maybe one more time & them switch to numbered wing bands I think.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  5. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Quote:Oh no!! What kind of chicks were they? [​IMG]

6. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Quote:Oh no!! What kind of chicks were they? [​IMG]

Exchequer Leghorns, & an assortment of different colored Wyandottes. Too bad 2 chicken lovin' friends & I went in together & placed anorder more than a month ago.

7. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    That sucks! I'm so sorry.

8. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Yeah, it was pretty bad & I can't get them to answer my email either.Maybe the holiday has things messed up. I will wait awhile & see.
    I bounce back & forth between here & the Bay Area thread now & rarely go onto the other threads anymore.
    I am trying to concentrate on actually doing more with the birds instead of reading about doing it.....LOL
    None of the 6 Polish eggs hatched but the breeder is sending more for me to try.
    Hopefully alot of Wynette's eggs will hatch today. I have her BCMs & OEs. One pip this morning so far. I have really slowed down in the hatching area & not buying many shipped eggs at this point. So disappointing to have such bad hatches. SO I put a few of my own eggs in again.....LOL

9. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    karen Im thinking more and more that my lockdown humidity has been too high, next time I will see what happens when I lower that.

10. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Quote:I agree that it can be a bigger problem too high than a little bit low. I have lowered mine some. I have two BCMs out & more pipping right now. I am going to Costco when it opens (I must be crazy.........LOL) & will keep checking throughout the day. I wish there was a set formula & I would use it but I just keep doing trial & error & there are so many variables. I wish money was no object & I would have 10 Brinseas 20Xs with the cradle & humidity module..............Yeah right....what are they about $399 a piece plus $159 each for the humidity module?????? That way each hatch would have it'sown little world to live in for the total incubation period. I would love that kind of control......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by