Calif. N.Central Valley/Foothills

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by kfchickenlady, May 1, 2011.

1. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Quote:YA!!! I hope they hatch!!

There are 2 little fuzzies in there this morning. I think that will be it but will wait til tonight or tomorrow for any straggler. I have other hatches coming up so I will have to check my dates.

2. Karen,

I love those grow out pens! I will ask my husband if I can have one....we were admiring yours when we were out there. My only concern is that I am supposed to be a backyarder....so I really shouldnt NEED one if you know what I mean!

We just got back from a weekend trip to half moon bay for our anniversary. The weather was a bit cool for a beach trip, but a very nice break from being hot all the time.

The eggs you gave us are still under our broody hen. She seems determined to see it through, so I am excited. Of the 18 eggs, 3 from Jeremy just didnt seem to develop for some reason and one of the light sussex from you didnt seem to develop either. On the dark marans eggs, I cant see a thing....

Otherwise, all the rest seem to be OK, though I am new to this, so could be totally wrong! If this continues, I should see a good hatch on about the 30th or the 1st of July. I am so excited that so many of the eggs from you are developing.

Anna

3. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Quote:That's great.I hope you get a good hatch too. Even if it's only a few it is so exciting................the whole experience.!!!!
    You just let me know bout the pen. I use all of mine for different things.I suppose you could use them for whelping for a large dog & her new puppies or a cat whatever.................. Small goats & lambs could go in them. They would make one BIG doghouse.....LOL

4. Old Homestead

Old Homestead Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Stockton
    I'm in stockton, barred rocks, dogs ,cats ,rabbits coming soon

5. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    Quote:Welcome,
    There is a local Delta chicken group too right in your area & they get together pretty regularly.
    What kind of chickens are you getting?

6. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    I want to try wing ID bands. Anyone on here ever try them??? I think I will still use my colored zip tie method til they are alittle grown out but them permanently tag them with numbered wing bands. Any thougths or suggestions are welcomed. I am going crazy looking at different sites trying to decide what kind & where to get them from. I wish I knew someone that actually uses them & could get some advice.
    Thanks
    Karen

7. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Good morning! Someone on the Silkie thread posted a photo tutorial on applying wing bands. It was really good, maybe search silkie wing band? I had two BCMs hatch!!!! So excited, and thank you [​IMG]
    Back from all the horse events, now trying to hatch a few silkies...[​IMG] I am done for awhile, although Im looking at heritage RIR....have a lot to sell first, Im running out of pens! I have GLW, SLW, EE pullets and one black and white EE roo for sale. Have to let the silkies grow out a little more.

[​IMG] Old Homestead!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  8. Old Homestead

Old Homestead Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Stockton
    Quote:Welcome,
    There is a local Delta chicken group too right in your area & they get together pretty regularly.
    What kind of chickens are you getting?

I have barred rock chicks and a asil hen

9. UrbanFarmerGirl

UrbanFarmerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    I am in Davis- 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Buff Orpington, 2 EE Pullets and 1 EE Cockerel who I love but have to re-home.

Also have 2 dogs (Westie, and a Terrier X who are patient with all of the other creatures), a bottle-fed kitten who they adopted as their puppy. When I'm not running my preschool or traveling with my Husband we're a foster family for the SPCA.

Hatched out my first batch of eggs this year using a broody hen. Sad this past week because the Mamma was taken in a hawk attack. Spent the weekend building a hawk proof enclosure for my other birds. Looking for a good home for my little cockerel too- free.

Love meeting the nice folks on here, and am continually impressed by everyone's knowledge and helpfulness. I just wanted to say hi to anyone in my general area who might share some of these interests! So... Hello!

10. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    Quote:Hi to you too! Sorry about your hen, I loved reading about the dogs and kitten [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by