Calif. N.Central Valley/Foothills

Quote:
YA!!! I hope they hatch!!

There are 2 little fuzzies in there this morning. I think that will be it but will wait til tonight or tomorrow for any straggler. I have other hatches coming up so I will have to check my dates.

Karen,

I love those grow out pens! I will ask my husband if I can have one....we were admiring yours when we were out there. My only concern is that I am supposed to be a backyarder....so I really shouldnt NEED one if you know what I mean!

We just got back from a weekend trip to half moon bay for our anniversary. The weather was a bit cool for a beach trip, but a very nice break from being hot all the time.

The eggs you gave us are still under our broody hen. She seems determined to see it through, so I am excited. Of the 18 eggs, 3 from Jeremy just didnt seem to develop for some reason and one of the light sussex from you didnt seem to develop either. On the dark marans eggs, I cant see a thing....

Otherwise, all the rest seem to be OK, though I am new to this, so could be totally wrong! If this continues, I should see a good hatch on about the 30th or the 1st of July. I am so excited that so many of the eggs from you are developing.

Anna

Quote:
That's great.I hope you get a good hatch too. Even if it's only a few it is so exciting................the whole experience.!!!!
You just let me know bout the pen. I use all of mine for different things.I suppose you could use them for whelping for a large dog & her new puppies or a cat whatever.................. Small goats & lambs could go in them. They would make one BIG doghouse.....LOL

I want to try wing ID bands. Anyone on here ever try them??? I think I will still use my colored zip tie method til they are alittle grown out but them permanently tag them with numbered wing bands. Any thougths or suggestions are welcomed. I am going crazy looking at different sites trying to decide what kind & where to get them from. I wish I knew someone that actually uses them & could get some advice.
Thanks
Karen

Good morning! Someone on the Silkie thread posted a photo tutorial on applying wing bands. It was really good, maybe search silkie wing band? I had two BCMs hatch!!!! So excited, and thank you
smile.png

Back from all the horse events, now trying to hatch a few silkies...
th.gif
I am done for awhile, although Im looking at heritage RIR....have a lot to sell first, Im running out of pens! I have GLW, SLW, EE pullets and one black and white EE roo for sale. Have to let the silkies grow out a little more.

welcome-byc.gif
Old Homestead!

Last edited:
Quote:
Welcome,
There is a local Delta chicken group too right in your area & they get together pretty regularly.
What kind of chickens are you getting?

I have barred rock chicks and a asil hen

I am in Davis- 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Buff Orpington, 2 EE Pullets and 1 EE Cockerel who I love but have to re-home.

Also have 2 dogs (Westie, and a Terrier X who are patient with all of the other creatures), a bottle-fed kitten who they adopted as their puppy. When I'm not running my preschool or traveling with my Husband we're a foster family for the SPCA.

Hatched out my first batch of eggs this year using a broody hen. Sad this past week because the Mamma was taken in a hawk attack. Spent the weekend building a hawk proof enclosure for my other birds. Looking for a good home for my little cockerel too- free.

Love meeting the nice folks on here, and am continually impressed by everyone's knowledge and helpfulness. I just wanted to say hi to anyone in my general area who might share some of these interests! So... Hello!

Back
Top Bottom