California - Northern

Great Questions!
thumbsup.gif

Jeremy, Thanks for answering.
goodpost.gif

On the Basque Thread some one posted:

Originally Posted by HaikuHeritageFarm

I'm actually extremely impressed with these birds. Browsing through the pictures they seem really consistent. You're probably saying "WHAT?!" but look closer...the shape and size seems mostly really consistent on them as well as being consistent with what I read in the standard. The combs are tight and follow the skull and though they're not all perfect, they don't seem as disastrous and variable as you see coming out of other breeds. You're not seeing crazy tail angles or even much of a problem with narrow bodies (after maturity) or pinched tails, are you? If you are, you guys are doing a really good job of making sure you don't take pictures of those birds, LOL!

You can REALLY see the careful care and selection that has gone into them. Maybe it's good they they aren't popular—nobody's had a chance to pollute them with willy-nilly cross breeding or carelessness. I couldn't give a flying fig what color plumage or shank color they have—ok, I do like the bright yellow shanks, but I actually prefer the variable color patterns!—as long as that strong, solid type, consistency and production is there.

These are a real treasure. Let's not mess them up. PLEASE don't introduce garbage genetics to these birds to "improve" them or get other fancy colors! PLEASE!!

The Legbar as a breed will need a lot of work. You will need to get the British SOP for them. They are very rare in Brittan, so Green Fire could not get as good of a start with them. The Basque Hens you are hatching are a different story. They have been part of a preservation and improvement project in Spain since the 1970s, so they do not need as much work. The Rhodebars probably need to be improved by breeding back to Heritage stock. I don't know if that is Heritage RIR and Barred Rocks or just the Heritage RIR. Cheryl was talking about doing that. If she does, I hope she gets the Mohawk or Don Nelson Line. She should try to get some from Robert Bosl since he is a master breeder of Heritage RIRs and his lay lots of eggs. The problem with many of the Heritage RIRs is that the egg laying gene has been lost.

With all that said, the Heritage folks say you can't really tell what a chicken is going to be like until the second year. That is why the advice to narrow the breeds to a manageable number is important. Maybe have a large variety for your laying flock and keep less breeds for improvement.

Enjoy the new chicks
jumpy.gif

Ron

I know this isn't the breeding/genetics forum but you folks are in my area so for whatever reason, I'm more curious to get info from some local chicken crazies! When you are starting toward a breeding project from chicks, how many do you keep to choose your breeders from? I have been acquiring chicks from different sources and trying to get different lines (.ie. legbars) but I'm also paying out a fortune. How do I know how many to keep if I want a solid base to start from? Not sure if it's an easy question, this is all new and exciting to me but I am feeling chick and chicken overrun!! I already know I am trying to mess with too many breeds but I can't help myself! :) just looking for some words of wisdom from you folks who've been around the block a few more times than me!

Papa Brooder, if you're starting with birds that are chicks honestly I would try to keep as many as you could possibly afford to. The thing with chicks is you have no idea of how they will look as adults until they mature. If you end up there thinning your numbers prematurely then you run the risk of selling a potentially great example of the breed.

Since you're working with auto sexing breeds, Legbars and Rhodebars, it's sort of a bit easier. Keep ALL of the pullets you have, I wouldn't sell a single one. The more eggs you have to hatch down the road the better. That and if you plan on selling hatching eggs with multiple hens you can (theoretically/ideally) recoup your initial costs much faster by selling multiple dozens in a market that will only be competitive for a short time.

As for the males, when fully mature I like to keep 2 boys at all times. 1 as my main breeder and one always on the sidelines as a backup. Again, I would most likely keep every male I have in order to pick the best boys out of the bunch later.

You may have to decide to let go of a few breeds if you plan on doing it this way, growing chicks eat a lot and the hobby can become costly very quickly. Pick your favorite breed, sell the rest to help cover feed costs.

Papa Brooder, if you're starting with birds that are chicks honestly I would try to keep as many as you could possibly afford to. The thing with chicks is you have no idea of how they will look as adults until they mature. If you end up there thinning your numbers prematurely then you run the risk of selling a potentially great example of the breed.

Since you're working with auto sexing breeds, Legbars and Rhodebars, it's sort of a bit easier. Keep ALL of the pullets you have, I wouldn't sell a single one. The more eggs you have to hatch down the road the better. That and if you plan on selling hatching eggs with multiple hens you can (theoretically/ideally) recoup your initial costs much faster by selling multiple dozens in a market that will only be competitive for a short time.

As for the males, when fully mature I like to keep 2 boys at all times. 1 as my main breeder and one always on the sidelines as a backup. Again, I would most likely keep every male I have in order to pick the best boys out of the bunch later.

You may have to decide to let go of a few breeds if you plan on doing it this way, growing chicks eat a lot and the hobby can become costly very quickly. Pick your favorite breed, sell the rest to help cover feed costs.
Thanks. That is kind of what I thought but it is helpful to hear someone lay it out. You really want to be able to have some to choose from to make sure they are up to standard and worthy of breeding. Now, I just have to figure out what I really want to work with and sell everything else. That makes complete sense...but so hard to say no to more breeds and more varieties!! Thanks so much for the input!

Hey all another question. I have two 8 week old orps that have been outside in a shed. I just noticed today that both of the eyes are stuck shut on the roo and one of the eyes on the Hen. I just received these juveniles about 10 days ago. I hadn't noticed anything the last few days. but now the roo is very lethargic. Maybe because his eyes are shut he's not eating and drinking? What should I do? Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Thanks in advance!

Hey all another question. I have two 8 week old orps that have been outside in a shed. I just noticed today that both of the eyes are stuck shut on the roo and one of the eyes on the Hen. I just received these juveniles about 10 days ago. I hadn't noticed anything the last few days. but now the roo is very lethargic. Maybe because his eyes are shut he's not eating and drinking? What should I do? Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Thanks in advance!
Here's a picture:

He doesn't look healthy, that's for sure. I have never had to deal with sick birds before so I have no idea what you should do. Definitely keep them far away from your other birds.

If he ends up passing you should send him to Davis for a necropsy.

He's a Jubilee, right? Where did you get the pair?

Thanks in advance!
Hi, Papa! I have a 5 week old BCM that has a similar problem. Last week, I discovered an outbreak of mites with my 6 chicks. I had just begun putting them in an outdoors brooder for a few hours each afternoon and it must have been full of mites. Unfortunately, I lost one chick before I realized what was happening. I have not found any mites on our adult birds but we have lots of trees and lots of wild birds in our yard so they must have come from the wild birds. Of course, I treated all the chicks, the coop, etc. and the mites are gone for now. One of the surviving chicks had them in his/her ears and maybe along its eyes. Both are swollen and he/she keeps them shut most of the time. He/she is eating, drinking and pooping but not acting frisky like the other chicks. When I give the chicks treats in my hand, it just randomly pecks my hand and sometimes scores a bite. I started out treating its eyes with neosporin. 3 or 4 days of doing that twice a day and there was no improvement. Then I went to the feed store and purchased Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel. Just a warning, it is very expensive! I didn't look at the price but just bought it because the girl working there said that it worked well for her horse. It was $22.99 for 2 oz. It is a little cheaper on Amazon plus you can read lots of reviews for it on there. I have been using it twice a day for the past 2 days but starting today, I'm upping it to 3 or 4 times a day. I think that his/her eyes are slowly getting better because he/she actually saw the treats in my hand today! This has just been my year for chick health problems (not to mention eye problems!) and I am fighting to get this little one back to a healthy normal.

He doesn't look healthy, that's for sure. I have never had to deal with sick birds before so I have no idea what you should do. Definitely keep them far away from your other birds.

If he ends up passing you should send him to Davis for a necropsy.

He's a Jubilee, right? Where did you get the pair?

from greenfire in an auction. Seemed fine the last week or so but but then I noticed the eyes. gonna quarantine the two of them and one of my vet friend suggested I put Tylan in the water. will have to go to the feed store to check into that. I did spend some time with a moist wash cloth and was able to get all the eyes open at least temporarily. One eye on the male has closed again but I guess I'll do it again tomorrow. Thanks for all the quick suggestions!

I am like Jeremy, I have not had one with an illness yet. I had one die of liver rupture, but she was not sick before that. I did have to treat for mites and I was thinking about that. This is the season for mites. I am using die no mite strips. I bought them from McMurray Hatchery. I also sprayed them with and enzyme that removes lice and mites. I never did see mites, but did see symptoms, so if I had them it was before they got out of hand.

The mites come out at night, so you need to check for them then with a flashlight. They are still hart to see, which is probably why I did not see them. I also cleaned and treated their coops.

Be careful with the anti biotics. It's hard on them, so if you find mites quit using it.

I hope they get better soon,

Ron

What are the symptoms of mites?
I am like Jeremy, I have not had one with an illness yet. I had one die of liver rupture, but she was not sick before that. I did have to treat for mites and I was thinking about that. This is the season for mites. I am using die no mite strips. I bought them from McMurray Hatchery. I also sprayed them with and enzyme that removes lice and mites. I never did see mites, but did see symptoms, so if I had them it was before they got out of hand.

The mites come out at night, so you need to check for them then with a flashlight. They are still hart to see, which is probably why I did not see them. I also cleaned and treated their coops.

Be careful with the anti biotics. It's hard on them, so if you find mites quit using it.

I hope they get better soon,

Ron
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom