California - Northern

We started using them last year and they work, just don't let the chickens eat them!!
That's what I'm worried about! I'm going to take the suggestion Jules gave and block off a compost area and put them there. I have some hens that are excellent foragers so I'll have to make sure the area is hen proof! Do you get the once a month shipment?

Debi,

I am not home right now - I am playing with cows and horses :) I will find the info this evening for you. Like Cheryl said, the chickens will eat them if they can get to them. I just made a little area sectioned off with chicken wire and the bugs got a good start that way.

Jules

smart jules

I've been releasing at night and I read about someone putting them in a cup, but I don't know how that works

I like a predator sectioned off place though

Off to work at the new ranch

I ordered a chicken diaper in mail for my BO can't wait!
yippiechickie.gif

One of the EO Basque Chicks would not get off of my arm today, so I took some pictures of her.

I am amazed at how fast they feather. Beautiful tail feathers. She has white feet(supposed to be yellow) but she is a very nice looking chick.

They are Dual Purpose egg layers, so are not supposed to be the best for meat. I may find out though. I have 4 or 5 males out of 11 chicks.

They looked like this at a day old:

Ron

She has white feet(supposed to be yellow) but she is a very nice looking chick.
Maybe- possibly- the legs could lack yellow because you don't feed corn.

My SH Dels had bright yellow legs until I stopped feeding them corn. Look at the difference:

Maybe not, but I thought I'd mention it because I saw a difference based on the feed.

She sounds like a keeper!

Kim

Thanks Kim!

I did not think about the feed. I will have to watch the others. White legs are points off on the SOP from Spain(maybe a DQ but I don't think so) for EO Marraduna Basque. The Basque group is working on other things now and will be working on the legs after they get the shape and etc. worked out. This one looks like she will have the correct shape and comb. She stands pretty close to what they are supposed to stand. I need to make copies of the SOP for them soon so I will know better what to look for.

I will call the Magill Feed place tomorrow. I did not get a second email from them.

Bye,

Ron
>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:
The roo is posing the same way in both photos, a typical rooster pose around here too
lol.png

Maybe- possibly- the legs could lack yellow because you don't feed corn.

My SH Dels had bright yellow legs until I stopped feeding them corn. Look at the difference:

Maybe not, but I thought I'd mention it because I saw a difference based on the feed.

She sounds like a keeper!

Kim

Back
Top Bottom