California - Northern

I know this was days ago, but speaking of eggs in pockets...

Having issues uploading images from my phone today.
http://instagram.com/p/U7C5MrOJfQ/
Despite what it says...I had to correct myself This chick is not clean footed. She has feathers on her legs.

Game changer on my chick dilemma. Recap- I gave 12 eggs to Jeff. One Orp egg hatched. I assumed it was a Buff Orp egg.

Also I was assuming all my Buff eggs were indeed Buff eggs. Black Betty's (who is a black orp x bcm) eggs look identical to the Buff Orp eggs. So it is entirely possible that one of her eggs hatched and that the baby daddy was my FBCM. Which is a game change right? LOL So I could have a mixed Black Orp/Marans hen x with a FBCM roo and one of my chicks be their offspring.

This one also has feathery legs
http://instagram.com/p/U7H9XquJVI/

Sorry about the links. I will actually try to get some full on pics with my big girl camera later for better detail. I have 3 non silkie mix chicks and they are likely to be one of the ones that hatched from the 12 I gave Jeff.

Having issues uploading images from my phone today.
http://instagram.com/p/U7C5MrOJfQ/
Despite what it says...I had to correct myself This chick is not clean footed. She has feathers on her legs.

Game changer on my chick dilemma. Recap- I gave 12 eggs to Jeff. One Orp egg hatched. I assumed it was a Buff Orp egg.

Also I was assuming all my Buff eggs were indeed Buff eggs. Black Betty's (who is a black orp x bcm) eggs look identical to the Buff Orp eggs. So it is entirely possible that one of her eggs hatched and that the baby daddy was my FBCM. Which is a game change right? LOL So I could have a mixed Black Orp/Marans hen x with a FBCM roo and one of my chicks be their offspring.

This one also has feathery legs
http://instagram.com/p/U7H9XquJVI/

Sorry about the links. I will actually try to get some full on pics with my big girl camera later for better detail. I have 3 non silkie mix chicks and they are likely to be one of the ones that hatched from the 12 I gave Jeff.
Those are nice looking chicks!

Cochins, silkies, Seramas, Bramahs and Marans have feathered feet. Probably others and mutts too.

Nice!
We met Shawna and Ed (feathers4fun) in Hornbrook Ca last night on her way to the show (what a nice couple) and got our latest addition to the NJG flock.

He was asleep when I put him in the coop last night. This morning the house started to rumble and shake about 6am and he had obviously gotten up.
His crow is a very low tone and he so far enjoys hearing himself do it. When he got up I am sure he was surprised to find 5 4 month old pullets and 2 little
banties named Lenny and Squiggy sharing the coop with him. So far there have been no issues. The others give him his space (except the banties will stand
under him and eat but it doesn't seem to bother him any) and all is good. I did have to double the size of the pop door this morning.. The boy is a whopper!

OMG that is so sad ( and we almost got a LLama) it has been cold up here in these hills lately, just and unfortuante accident it sounds like, WOW life is so short....
Thanks all to keep us in the loop....

Wish I could go to that Poultry show this weekend, sadly am working the next two weekends.... I hope everyone has fun, and I hope to catch the next one.....

If you got them from a hatchery, it is less likely that you will have Broodys--they breed against that.

Incubating them is very fun though. Yes, I am a hatch a holic...
I am holding out against an incubator for now. We have 3 left we got from a guy in Sac (they are breeders birds and his hens hatched them out)-- including my flock Roo ( I really want to post pics but am not tech savvy- he is just really feathered out and big, almost plump ish)-- so unfortuantly the 2 hens mostly likely to be broody ( they are really huge as well, and larger then the 7 hatchery birds) are his sisters...But I guess they can brood other hens eggs as well so we will see (these are our first chickens have no idea how to facilitate hatching out chicks, except that the big birds have taken to laying in a large dog kennel we have stored under our porch-- I think its hard for them to get up in our nest boxes they are really heavy birds)....

Back
Top Bottom