California - Northern

gig.gif
Thank You Jason! Our Fly Babies is our next shot at getting more!

There is a guy on the Pene thread that just hatched out a bunch. Does he ship hatching eggs?
that is Guy,
he was going to ship me some when the whole city of Saint Louis versus him went down but he never got certified and did not want to ship to california
hu.gif

If nothing comes of your fly babies . I may ask Luann Kellar for another Rooster along with a crele rooster as her birds are stunning.
Just hate to spend 150.00 on shipping for free birds plus it is a pain for her I am sure to ship them as her local post office is not so local.

*sigh*. So just for fun, I thought I would list the kinds of chickens I don't want............

Well that's about all of them!

You people and your beautiful kinds of chickens I have never seem before! I figured it would be easier to list the ones I didn't want. I was right!!!

LOL,
yuckyuck.gif
I'm the same way, that's why my egg list was so long.............

Quote:
If you don't have the silkie gene, that only means you have had one yet. I've always been attracted to the sleek, lakenvelder, campine, etc. When I showed dogs, I had Italian Greyhounds & Scottish Deerhounds..................detect a common thread? I never had any desire to own a silkie chicken in the last 40 years of chickens owning....................then I got a couple (was trying for showgirl eggs (sleek neck? LOL). Now I have about 30+ silkies. I was prepping them for a show one night (blow drying), I looked at DH and said "you know, I could get rid of everything else and just concentrate on these". I don't picture that ever happening, but I like them that much.

Quote:
Bobwhite will always stay nuts. The boys start to develop the black around their heads, I don't remember the age though. I haven't grown out a group of them for awhile.

Quote: If the EE is a Hatchery boy he may be mean. Mean Roosters become soup(or find someone that wants a rooster) and are not allowed!

You will need to see. Sometimes they will become aggressive, which is common during their teen age years. You need to see which one is the nicest.

Way too early to say and if we threw out every boy that actually acted like a boy..well, we wouldn't have any offspring.

My new Marans roo (grown young man) has been a little bit eyeing me when I come in the pen. Today he danced towards me and I followed him around threatening to pick
him up. There is a huge flock of my other hens with another roo who is free ranging all around this boy and he has a measly two girls, so I get that he thinks he was gypped on the harem and he's going to learn who he can and cannot be top dog of.

Look, we can't ask these boys to protect a flock for us and then do something that makes them think they need to defend the flock and then off their heads for it.

They're roosters and if you want to own one then respect them. I'm not saying that all Roos who show aggression can be good boys but I am saying, make sure you didn't do anything to challenge them. Don't make soup out of them for doing their job.

Pam, sorry to hear that Fire Man is getting an attitude. I hope he doesn't become too feisty. I never had any issues with him, but then he wasn't living with any girls either, just a boy pen. My other two roos live together without issue in a truce, I've never seen a fight between them and they share the girls. They do fuss through the fence at the roo on each side. I've never had any of those three boys show an attitude towards me. I think Fire Man pecked my toe once when I went into the pen in sandals, but I didn't take that as aggression, LOL

Quote:
Jason, I'll see if I can candle your eggs tonight, they are at two weeks now.

wait to see if they lay a olive or green egg. If they lay a brown egg give them up. That way when you breed back to a crele penedesenca hopefully the offspring will lay a darker olive egg.
you can of course get brown eggs instead as well.

That is why I am planning on working with silver ameraucana hens with a crele  penedesenca rooster. That way I can use only the pea combed offspring.
1/4 the offspring from that cross should be crele patterned pea combed olive eggers ( 1/2 crele but only  1/2 of them pea combed)
Bred back to a crele rooster you should get all crele hens but 1/2 with a pea comb

About 5 years ago my girlfriend let us "borrow her Ameraucana roo to cross with our black australorp and barnies. The most beautiful shades of olive to dark green. The australorp baby was blue "ms. Grey " the girls named her;-) good times .

I'm so excited to have bought this house And won't have the landlord telling me no chickens!!!!

LOL,
yuckyuck.gif
I'm the same way, that's why my egg list was so long.............

If you don't have the silkie gene, that only means you have had one yet. I've always been attracted to the sleek, lakenvelder, campine, etc. When I showed dogs, I had Italian Greyhounds & Scottish Deerhounds..................detect a common thread? I never had any desire to own a silkie chicken in the last 40 years of chickens owning....................then I got a couple (was trying for showgirl eggs (sleek neck? LOL). Now I have about 30+ silkies. I was prepping them for a show one night (blow drying), I looked at DH and said "you know, I could get rid of everything else and just concentrate on these". I don't picture that ever happening, but I like them that much.

Bobwhite will always stay nuts. The boys start to develop the black around their heads, I don't remember the age though. I haven't grown out a group of them for awhile.

Pam, sorry to hear that Fire Man is getting an attitude. I hope he doesn't become too feisty. I never had any issues with him, but then he wasn't living with any girls either, just a boy pen. My other two roos live together without issue in a truce, I've never seen a fight between them and they share the girls. They do fuss through the fence at the roo on each side. I've never had any of those three boys show an attitude towards me. I think Fire Man pecked my toe once when I went into the pen in sandals, but I didn't take that as aggression, LOL

Jason, I'll see if I can candle your eggs tonight, they are at two weeks now.
fl.gif

Thanks, Deb. My adult daughter wants to have a small pen of quail but I am starting to think that Bobwhites are not the bird for her. Is there a breed of quail that is calm and doesn't mind being handled? My 19 need their brooder cleaned today and the poop knocked off their little feet. I'm dreading it because they are very hard to catch and pop out of the brooder when the lid is even cracked open a small amount. I am thinking about buying the chicken coop that Costco has and modifying it for them. At least I could herd them into the coop part while I clean the pen. How long do they need to be under lights?

Debs-flock,
I do notice the trend, fellow wedge-head fan here.
You may be right about changing my mind if I had them, but... My biggest concern would be protecting them and quality of life. I envision hawks lining up to pick them off with a second line forming for 4 legged critters, cats, fox, racoons. We could build another Fort Knox but they would be pink permently from the soil. I don't feel bad putting birds in conditioning cages to get ready for fair but I think it's unfair to ask them to go without the feel of dirt between the toes. I'm working on it but at this time I don't have much stock with enough quality for chicks, I'll find out soon if this area has much demand for them.

hey, my local Penngrove post office just called, and Molly's eggs have turned up! i'm going to run down & pick them up -- the three CL eggs i got from Deann were started under Daisy yesterday afternoon, but it seems like it should be close enough timing to just add Molly's eggs as well?

yay!!!

hey, my local Penngrove post office just called, and Molly's eggs have turned up!  i'm going to run down & pick them up -- the three CL eggs i got from Deann were started under Daisy yesterday afternoon, but it seems like it should be close enough timing to just add Molly's eggs as well?

yay!!!

Huzzah!!

hey, my local Penngrove post office just called, and Molly's eggs have turned up! i'm going to run down & pick them up -- the three CL eggs i got from Deann were started under Daisy yesterday afternoon, but it seems like it should be close enough timing to just add Molly's eggs as well?

yay!!!
woot.gif

yay!!!
yes but let them rest a bit who knows what they went through

Back
Top Bottom