California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

They are bantams and I thought your husband wanted large fowl. I do have (4) four week old bantam buff Brahma chicks from this group available if you want some bantams [​IMG] They are a very calm, sweet breed.

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

3. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    actually i do know, they apparently went up to Ross and back, due to a mistaken zip code -- so at least they didn't fly anywhere, have "just" been in a mail truck.

how best to balance how long to rest them, vs. wanting to get them under the broody quickly since they're now 4-6 day old eggs?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  4. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Hope the eggs are in good shape, and they were handeled gently.

5. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    Not too long but I would wait at least 4 hours a day if you can. you figure your broody will probably give them a few extra days to hatch. I am not certain as I have not went that route so maybe someone better with that can chime in but I would let them rest or your chances of scrambled eggs are much higher

6. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I just happen to have some [​IMG] I have (2) four week chicks (one blue, one splash) (3) three week old chicks (1 blue, 2 splash) and I have decided to let a pair of splash laced red Wyandotte bantams go. Hen is one year old and the rooster is 8 months old.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    Candy do you have any pic's of your 6 week old crosses? I am assuming the chicks I have with alot of tan and brown are roosters and the more yellow/orange ones are hens but want to rehome roosters

8. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I just read a quail thread where they called the coturnix foo foo lap birds. That sounds perfect for my daughter! She is afraid of my chickens but has wanted quail for years ever since she was a little girl and found a wild quail in the yard. I guess that I better get her some coturnix and plan on eating the Bobwhites. I might keep one male and a few females. I do love the male's call. chiquita, does Mario have a video on quail processing???

9. Ali707

Ali707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX

Costco had a coop??????? Where did you see that?
    I have GOT to get them out of my house. The dust is everywhere.

Lol I can totally see the hubby closing the arm in with the quail. They are houdini's here and mine don't hang out when I put my hand in there, they run. They have gotten all panicky in the last couple of days and peck at the box to get out. I am hoping it is just because they are overcrowded. Which I can fix. I can't fix nuts. :)

10. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by