California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Thanks, Deb! I'll watch it and search for more. Shantih says that Mario can completely process one in 5 min. That sounds like an expert to me! [​IMG]

2. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    The Costco in Antioch has one. It is a Hen House one for $179 and the same one is selling at Brentwood Feed for $310. I wouldn't trust it in a high predator area unless it was inside a predator proof run. Here is a link for one that I'm pretty sure is the same coop:

http://www.petco.com/product/120102...5&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=51515418835

It is small but I was thinking for a small number of quail or to use as a grow out pen, it might be a good choice. I have one group of grow outs in an area off of my patio that is covered with poultry netting. They get herded in to a large dog igloo at night and secured with a funky door. I would love to have this coop there instead!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

4. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Wow! I have to run out and get some groceries but I'll check it out when I get home!

5. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    the eggs are here! all *beautifully* packaged and labeled, the woman at my local post office (who was SO helpful, i brought her some eating eggs as a thank you!) suspects that, because Molly put my phone number under the address, the machine that scans for zip codes picked up the wrong number, so it got sent to the wrong town. thankfully when an actual human looked at the address, they realized it was correct & sent it along!

and the box seems to be in excellent shape, so i'm thinking it didn't get handled too badly. if anyone else has advice on how long to let the eggs rest, i'd be most appreciative...!

6. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Let them rest for 4 to 12 hours.

Like this:

[​IMG]

Put a book on the back end to tilt them slightly and put them somewhere quiet with humidity, like a bathroom sink with water in it.

The eggs will hatch fine too!

Happy Hatching!

3 people like this.
  7. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    thanks Ron -- i'm not sure i can supply a place with humidity, this wind we've been having is very dry -- but will do what i can.

and another question, for those of you who've had broodies that you HAVEN'T moved to their own separate nesting area -- how do you make sure the chicks, once they hatch, are getting their chick starter & the big chickens don't eat it all? (the layer feed will be in a feeder that's too tall for the chicks to reach) and if the broody is keeping her chicks in a nest that the other big girls are still trying to lay in, will there be trouble?

thanks!!!

8. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    I'd go for putting them under late this afternoon or tonight so they don't get left behind. If the ccls hatch early, steal them for a day or so then reintroduce so she sits an extra day
    S

1 person likes this.
  9. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jason, I don't have any chicks that age out of my blue wheaten rooster, just 3 brown chicks out of him that are 8 weeks old. I am going out today to look closely at the chicks I have that are 3 weeks old and see if I can tell which ones are roosters. I will let you know what conclusion I came to [​IMG]

10. Ali707

Ali707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Magnolia, TX

That would be awesome for so many things. Like a quarantine pen and a grow out pen like you said.

Thanks for the link. I wonder if any of the Costco's closer to me have it??? I will have to do some digging. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by