California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    thanks for this -- i'm still trying to sort out how i'm going to deal with the chicks of FOUR broodies, all staggered a week apart, plus the other girls still trying to lay eggs... but i'm sure once the first chicks are here, it will become more apparent. and i will definitely make a chick-bar for their food using this as a model!

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California

They carry those at my local save mart too :)

3. Meg2000000

Meg2000000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Concord, CA
    Thanks for the warm welcome Debi and Laura! I've truly missed my chicken peeps! Debi - I took over Cheryl's coops at the ranch in Clayton! My birds are loving it! There are a few coops open if you have any chickens you need a place for :) Laura - I can't wait to see pics of your chicks from your broodies. How fun!!

4. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Yesterday's turkey hatch.

The fifth poult hatched with a small bit of unabsorbed yolk. I left it in the hatcher overnight and everything looked fairly dried out this morning. I put it in with the others and tutor chicks, of course by the time I went back to check, the chicks had picked it bloody. So it's resting back in the hatcher on it's own. It looks fine, but missed the photo op.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If the size of the snood at hatch was an indicator, I'd go a boy and three girls.

5. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Hello Meg2000000,
    Recognize you from the EO thread. I'm watching 11 and hoping for a good hatch in 2 weeks.

Debs-flock,
    They are adorable! Don't know what I would do with them when they grew up, guessing they need room to roam.

6. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    They pretty much stand in one spot and stomp around in circles, the toms anyway, LOL. Turkeys are great watch dogs and very intimidating to people if they don't know better.

7. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    Mariah liked the RP in Red Bluff. He was booming quite often when she went by him. We have wild turkeys here, do you think they would cause problems?

8. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I currently have 13 adult turkeys. I see the wild turkeys come through quite often, I've never even seen them interact with each other, although I'm sure they probably do.

9. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    This whole group of poults are slates, I have about another 70+ incubating. There are bound to be RP in there as well, I have both.

10. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    hens come by on occation to romance my RP Tom, cranberries. Wild turkeys are a sign you don't have out of control blackhead around , so unless your girls run off wiht the wild bad boys, its a good sign.

I wonder if Im going to see some odd looking wild poults around here this year!
    Deb, my turkeys are due this weekend too, probaly hatching now. I didn't see the thread so I didn't join!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by